• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (5 Viewers)

Interesting, let's hope that somebody pins it down. Worth bearing in mind that, certainly abroad, Woodlarks are one of the few Lark spp to commonly perch on telephone and other types of lines.....

Laurie:t:

Birds seen in
November

Pink Footed Geese
White Fronted Geese
Red Crested Pochard
Long Tailed Duck
Common Scoter
Red Breasted Merganser
Hen Harrier
Merlin
Knot
Barn Owl
Long Eared Owl
Black Redstart
Siberian Chiffchaff
Firecrest
Great Grey Shrike
Crossbill
Snow Bunting

Good Birding YAMYAM

No pic presumably?

I paid a visit, a few years ago, to Cannock Chase during the breeding season to just have a mooch about during the day. Whilst i was there i bumped into somebody who was censusing the Woodlarks. Whilst watching a displaying bird i had a chat to the bloke. At the time i think there was an estimated 25+ pairs minimum. Habitat-wise he said that the present Forestry Commission management for the spp was proving successfull. They were felling blocks of 15-year old conifers and then just brashing them were they fell. This left a level of branches, twigs etc about a metre high. This was then colonised by bramble etc. The odd, isolated, tree was left as song perches and the birds readily utilisted the fallen brash as nesting habitat presumably finding bare areas in between. This had the advantage of providing cover and protection from predators and dog-walkers.

Apart from the interesting background of numbers, management etc what i found most interesting was that during the whole period since colonisation of the Cannock Chase recording area there had'nt been a single record post-breeding or wintering of these birds. Where do they go? The birds are well inland so do they go to the coast somewhere? I don't hear of any large flocks of Woodlarks anywhere? Do they roam in flocks or do they disperse as pairs, small groups or individuals? They obviously have to go somewhere and presumably some of these are potential colonisers elsewhere in the region. Suitable habitat is disparate and a bad Winter could knock them out like Cettis? They have'nt bred back on Kinver Edge since the bitter winter of 1963 despite being several records of singing birds over the last decade but there again neither has Nightjar.

Just some thoughts. There are small parties of Skylarks and Yellowhammers over at the West Hagley Fields so there is always a chance.....

Sorry no picture I was just passing half hour before a doctors appointment, after thinking of all the Woodlarks seen in the past I remember the Clayhanger bird from 1997 this bird would frequently perch on a fence not barbwire. Also seen same day Shorelark at Billesley Common ;)
Good Birding YAMYAM

I paid a visit, a few years ago, to Cannock Chase during the breeding season to just have a mooch about during the day. Whilst i was there i bumped into somebody who was censusing the Woodlarks. Whilst watching a displaying bird i had a chat to the bloke. At the time i think there was an estimated 25+ pairs minimum. Habitat-wise he said that the present Forestry Commission management for the spp was proving successfull. They were felling blocks of 15-year old conifers and then just brashing them were they fell. This left a level of branches, twigs etc about a metre high. This was then colonised by bramble etc. The odd, isolated, tree was left as song perches and the birds readily utilisted the fallen brash as nesting habitat presumably finding bare areas in between. This had the advantage of providing cover and protection from predators and dog-walkers.

The last four WMBC annual reports (2008 to 2001), based on casual observations, have a range of 16 to 22 pairs. However the last proper survey in 2007 located 32 pairs

Good Morning Phil.....

Tnx for the update - the figure was arbitary but where do the little buggers go.....apart from Sandwell Valley obviously;)

IIRC 2007 was when i popped up there.

Good Morning Phil.....

Tnx for the update - the figure was arbitary but where do the little buggers go.....apart from Sandwell Valley obviously;)

IIRC 2007 was when i popped up there.

Perhaps they simply spread out over the Chase and adjoining areas and are just less concentrated? Steve Richards had one over Shoal Hill Common earlier in the week.

That would be my conclusion as i would have thought that their feeding requirements could be satisfied locally rather than a trek outside the region.

Last edited:
In the many times I've visited the valley I've never seen a ringed necked parakeet only heard them. Could any tell me the best place to see them in the valley.
Thanks Sam

In the many times I've visited the valley I've never seen a ringed necked parakeet only heard them. Could any tell me the best place to see them in the valley.
Thanks Sam

Best places for them in my experience is around the river banks on the RSPB end of Forge Mill and near the temporary centre. They are also fairly regular around Park Farm. However, they can be seen in most areas around the RSPB reserve - just keep persevering. They seem to be a little more regular again at the moment.

The old railway line has always done me good. Regularly get them perched up in someones back garden near the school playing fields on the opposite side of the actual railway line. Your looking through 3 fences to see them, but it's fairly reliable
MB

Thank you for the comments I'll be sure to visit again and keep my eyes peeled on the locations you have given me and maybe even visit the parks.
Thanks Sam.

Also seen yesterday were two Willow Tits near the old visitor centre per Jane Tavener & Alf
Good Birding YAMYAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back