• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon Coolpix P6000 (1 Viewer)

that does look interesting, it's hard to keep up with this all though.
since '06 i've gone through a P4, two P5000's and a P5100, now this LOL

i don't know how much my new (used) 500mm f4 AFS (w/ 1.4 TC) will affect my time spent digiscoping in the future though.

that Hassy should be in the $50,000 + range with that lens,,

sure going to need one heck of a computer to work through those files,,

Derry

Most of the early comments on P6000 on dpreview.com are quite negative. Too many megapixels, lens too slow at the long end (f/5.9) and propriatary RAW format (windows only, does not work with current software or with Macs). No indication if focus speed has been improved.

Mike

that does look interesting, it's hard to keep up with this all though.
since '06 i've gone through a P4, two P5000's and a P5100, now this LOL

i don't know how much my new (used) 500mm f4 AFS (w/ 1.4 TC) will affect my time spent digiscoping in the future though.

revs,

I'd say that, judging from your D300 + 500mm lens pics, they look great. Now you're really torn between the two systems.

Looking at the specs (lens focal length, speed & sensor size) it looks like we have already had a camera like this: Canon G5. Though a great camera, it unfortunately wasn't very digiscoping friendly. Only eyepieces with very long eye-relief (like yours, wings ;)) can easily be used with it.

Ilkka

oh ...

Well, I'm not impressed....

The P5100 was already extremely slooooow... This one will probably be just as bad, if not worse with more megapixels and RAW. In fact this is probably why Nikon does not offer HD video with this camera.

Add to this the very slow lens and the proprietary RAW not compatible with anything else. Not for me thanks !

However, many have succes digiscoping with the P5100 - this one may also perform well - but I wouldn't count on it to double as an all around camera.

Last edited:
hi, i'm new to digiscoping, and am using the p5100 coupled to an raii spotting scope, which although i've only experimented with seems to be amazing to a newbie, but my question is have you found a remote shutter release for the 5100? the mc-eu1 seems to be a generic sort of thing, which from what i've seen elsewhere works with a multitude of coolpix camera's, i just don't want to splash out and then be disappointed can u help?
regards
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back