• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (26 Viewers)

Hi guys remember me?

Not been around for ages, due to living a fair distance away and bogged down in uni work.

Nice to hear that the spring migration is slowly starting. 2 kittiwakes that's amazing, don't often get them this far inland?

I was actually wondering if somebody could point me in the direction of the osprey images from Upton last year. I am doing a presentation on them and would like to use locally sourced images (with the photographers permissions of course).

Hi Gav, nice to knowyou are still with us mate.:t:
I think you will have a wide choice, from every angle doing everything an Osprey can possibly do. including a triple somersault and twist 8-P.
Try Vern (kingfisher - kid), Rob (forgetfulelephant) or Trace (Binus63). PM them and mention you are my best mate (send me the cheque later):smoke: joking apart they are the best I would recommend.
see you in the spring??B :)john

Last edited:
14 Avos reported today by JTB - so you were not imagining it.:t:

Also adult Kittiwake flashes per JTB - up to 2 Kittiwakes reported today at Upton.

Any idea who the finder of this morning's Kittiwakes were - other West Midland birds include singles at Tittesworth and Belvide so a bit of movement today.

Hi guys remember me?

Not been around for ages, due to living a fair distance away and bogged down in uni work.

Nice to hear that the spring migration is slowly starting. 2 kittiwakes that's amazing, don't often get them this far inland?

I was actually wondering if somebody could point me in the direction of the osprey images from Upton last year. I am doing a presentation on them and would like to use locally sourced images (with the photographers permissions of course).

Hi Gav, sent you a PM re Osprey

Rob

Rob - Can you try and persuade the observer to get the picture posted. If it is/was a Marsh Tit that would, as Des points out, go a long way to cementing the place of this species on the reserve list. Even if it is 'only' a Willow Tit it would be the first of that species for many years.

Mike

I did ask him too Mike although he was not on Birdforum (explained how to get on) or one of the very regular visitors to Upton. Should have taken a photo off his camera with my phone but didn't think at the time. DOH! :-C

Rob

Kittiwakes at upton today.

There was definitely movement in the air, the strengthening SSW wind was forcing gulls onto the Moors. At first mostly BHG with a few large gulls also loitering. Then an adult common gull appeared - a different bird from yesterday's. At 12.50 I was on my way from the east hide to my car, when I asked a passing birder if he had been to the Flashes. He replied yes and nonchalantly let out that there were 2 Kittiwakes in front of the 'cuckoo hide'.
Andy P and myself were taken aback and the pace quickened to the cars. Mind you Andy was supposedly going home but needing Kittiwake for his Upton list, he was prepared to make a diversion 8-P, Kevin H also tagged along. At the sailing pool car park we met Peter E, who informed us that they were still there. This is unusual for Upton, as most birds I have seen have been just fly through's, or very short duration events.
We arrived at the cuckoo hide with the wind nearing gale-force. There was no sign of the kittiwakes and with only a couple of hundred gulls present we rapidly 'grilled' them without success.
The gulls were quite jumpy and perhaps a peregrine had just passed through. IThen I just happen to glance skyward, to see a massive swirling flock of gulls descending to the Flashes. Perhaps 800 or more soon covered the 2nd flash, flying low just above the waves into the wind. After a short time we found 4 common gulls (3 ads and a 1st winter), with several Herrings and LBBG's passing through. With more enthusiasm we moved on to the main hide, but our hopes were dashed as the gulls were moving off south in their droves. At 1.50pm some 50 minutes after we arrived when all hope was lost, I picked up a 'spanking' adult summer plumaged bird walking on the main shingle island. Luckily, both Andy and Kev each got an Upton lifer, as it quickly flew off, unfortunately my camera was still in my bag. Where are the Togs when you need em8-P.
I personally think the 2 original birds had moved off and this the 3rd bird appeared later. It will be interesting to monitor any local movement.B :)John

In addition to Belvide (will need to check Steve's blog later to see if one or two birds were involved) and Tittesworth, other Kittiwakes in the wider Midlands were at Rutland Water and Newark today.

March traditionally has the highest % of Kittiwake records at UW but it has been 17 years since the last multiple sighting. Likewise this year has already been the most productive since 1996 if one follows JTB's three bird theory.

Last edited:
Seems possible that we had a Marsh Tit on the Moors recently. Someone showed me a pic that he took a couple of weeks back near the end of the west track. From what I saw given my limited knowledge & checking in Collins thta's my conclusion. Anyone else had one? BTW I asked him to try & post the pic on here if he can!

Rob

I did ask him too Mike although he was not on Birdforum (explained how to get on) or one of the very regular visitors to Upton. Should have taken a photo off his camera with my phone but didn't think at the time. DOH! :-C

Rob

As Mike as commented earlier, if there is any way possible that this photo could be posted onto BF (or even sent in an email to a regular) that would be fantastic. Even the "lesser" option of a Willow Tit would be a very welcome sighting for the reserve.

In addition to Belvide (will need to check Steve's blog later to see if one or two birds were involved) and Tittesworth, other Kittiwakes in the wider Midlands were at Rutland Water and Newark today.

March traditionally has the highest % of Kittiwake records at UW but it has been 17 years since the last multiple sighting. Likewise this year has already been the most productive since 1996 if one follows JTB's three bird theory.
Are you back home Phil.;)

As Mike as commented earlier, if there is any way possible that this photo could be posted onto BF (or even sent in an email to a regular) that would be fantastic. Even the "lesser" option of a Willow Tit would be a very welcome sighting for the reserve.

If an image is forthcoming, let's hope we can see the bill well.

Des.

I hope Steve N doesnt mind me reproducing the text from his ever excellent blog regarding today's Kittiwake passage at Belvide:

"A passage of Kittiwake was evident today with 4 adult birds seen over the day. One was present between 12-12.05pm then flew east. Another from 12.40-1.20pm then flew north west. One from 3.10-3.40pm and finally a bird roosted from 5pm."

Today at the Moors

I think Andy P (spoonbill finder) must have fell asleep after celebrating his lifer today.
So I will do today's report.
Since last night there was definitely an exodus of not only our Bittern but some duck species.
Pochard down from 16 to 7, gadwall down from 8 to 6, shoveler down from 12 to 10. Tufted from 39 to 25,
The redpoll flock at the east gate, although constantly calling over the last week or so, is totally inconspicuous. But today they flew out of hiding and surprisingly there were 40 birds. Once again disturbance at the Flashes from the sewage works forced the Avocets on to the Moors for a couple of hours, after which they returned.
species counts at Moors
GCG 4, little grebe 3, cormorant 10, mute swan 2, greylag 3, shoveler 10 (4 prs + 2 male), gadwall 6 (3 prs), teal 18, pochard 7 (6 male), tufted 25, Oystercatcher 4, curlew 1 flew south to flashes, lapwing 44, snipe 5, jack snipe on west bank promontory, common gull summer plumaged ad, herring gull 3, BHG 300, Buzzard 2, kestrel, green woodp 2 feeding on east bank by hide, redpoll 40, siskin 3, chaffinch 5,

22 curlew on the Flashes near the waterworks at 5.25.
Hi Ian. This would have been the highest count of the year, see below:t:

Stayed at the the Flashes from 1 till 3pm
Other than the gulls: There were plenty of teal mostly loafing along the east shore of 2nd Flash. 9 curlews flew in followed shortly afterwards by a flock of 14. - this was the highest total of the year. The avocet were feeding well, mostly upending in the 2nd flash - last spring almost no food was taken in the same area (after the previous summer's drought). The leucistic female lapwing was back for the breeding season.

Species count at Flashes:
Teal 68, mallard 20, shelduck 2, coot 8, Curlew 23, oystercatcher 2, lapwing 2, avocet 14, BHG 900, common gull 5 in total ( 4 together at one stage) 4 ads and 1x 1st winter, Herring gull 10, LBBG 5, KITTIWAKE ad, grey heron, buzzard, jay, pied wags 2,
:t:John

Soz Andy just noticed you are on line

Thought you might have crashed out, so did a bit from the day's birding.
I know you have a bit to add anyway.:t:John

I think Andy P (spoonbill finder) must have fell asleep after celebrating his lifer today.
So I will do today's report.
Since last night there was definitely an exodus of not only our Bittern but some duck species.
Pochard down from 16 to 7, gadwall down from 8 to 6, shoveler down from 12 to 10. Tufted from 39 to 25,
The redpoll flock at the east gate, although constantly calling over the last week or so, is totally inconspicuous. But today they flew out of hiding and surprisingly there were 40 birds. Once again disturbance at the Flashes from the sewage works forced the Avocets on to the Moors for a couple of hours, after which they returned.
species counts at Moors
GCG 4, little grebe 3, cormorant 10, mute swan 2, greylag 3, shoveler 10 (4 prs + 2 male), gadwall 6 (3 prs), teal 18, pochard 7 (6 male), tufted 25, Oystercatcher 4, curlew 1 flew south to flashes, lapwing 44, snipe 5, jack snipe on west bank promontory, common gull summer plumaged ad, herring gull 3, BHG 300, Buzzard 2, kestrel, green woodp 2 feeding on east bank by hide, redpoll 40, siskin 3, chaffinch 5,

Sorry John. I've been having problems connecting to the site this evening, and when I finally did I found that you had already compiled the report(s)... and excellent they were too:t:.

Of further note were the large numbers of Redwing and Fieldfare (mainly Redwing) that I saw in the field and trees behind the East Hide at the Moors Pool early this morning (c 100 in total) and the 68 Teal you counted at the Flashes.

A shame that both of us had our cameras in their cases when the kittiwake was about.:C

As Mike had only provided a link to another of the Worecestershire site threads (Arrow Valley) I have taken it upon myself to cut and paste out the relevant posts relating to a potentially interesting historic sighting at Upton:

Finally I have had Nightjar at Upper Bentley and also Upton in the early nineties.

I had a friend who lived in Upper Bentley in the eighties. He had a nightjar over his garden for 3 days in 88. He was a good birder for 16 and had seen many Nightjars in Norfolk. That year we had a Day Watch between Bentley and Upton. I was in a small hide on stilts at Dusk and we saw a bird patrolling around the scrubby area to the left (lower end of flashes). Leaving the hide for further (close at times) it was clearly a Nightjar, I seem to remember it landing on dead trees a few times and oddly it did not go far over the water. (no churring though).

There was no Logbook in the hide and at 15/16 years of age and cycling Redditch to Upton every few weeks we did not record it on subsequent visits. it was 1988, so if you look at records for that year someone else may have noted the bird.

Without a record accepted by the County Recorder this species will unfortunately remain off the Upton Warren list; however could the insects around the water's edge be attracting migrant birds? I recall there was a report of a strange bird churring in from of the West Hide at the Moors Pool one spring evening in the late 1990s although nothing was ever submitted.

Last edited:
Hi Gav, nice to knowyou are still with us mate.:t:
I think you will have a wide choice, from every angle doing everything an Osprey can possibly do. including a triple somersault and twist 8-P.
Try Vern (kingfisher - kid), Rob (forgetfulelephant) or Trace (Binus63). PM them and mention you are my best mate (send me the cheque later):smoke: joking apart they are the best I would recommend.
see you in the spring??B :)john

Hi Gav

There is also the UW Flickr site mate, you have an account, remember ?..you can use the link below ;)
Some of John's non favourites have some very good pics on there too !!

Last edited:
Sorry John. I've been having problems connecting to the site this evening, and when I finally did I found that you had already compiled the report(s)... and excellent they were too:t:.

Of further note were the large numbers of Redwing and Fieldfare (mainly Redwing) that I saw in the field and trees behind the East Hide at the Moors Pool early this morning (c 100 in total) and the 68 Teal you counted at the Flashes.

A shame that both of us had our cameras in their cases when the kittiwake was about.:C

and the moral of the story is.............. 'wop it out, when there's a rarity about':smoke:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back