• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tibet birding guides (1 Viewer)

In Nature

My wife and I are planning to go to Tibet for birdwatching and culture. We are looking for private guides who can show us the birds in the area.

My wife just now got word of the time she can have off--two weeks at the end of June and beginning of July 2016, which makes it a bit of a hectic, last-minute thing. Fortunately, we both already have the 10-year China tourist visas that Americans can now get.

The ideal situation would be to have one guide who could bring us around to birding sites and then team up with local guides at each place.

The sites we're thinking about now are places on the Qinghai Plateau around Xining (Huzhu Bei Shan, Lake Koko Nur, etc.) and then onto Lhasa, where we'd like to see birds in addition to culture.

I was wondering if anyone knows guides who could help us out.

Thank you so much.

P.S. We might be able to go in August 2016, but it would be a stretch as there’s a good chance my wife’s boss would not give it the green light, seeing as we're going on another trip in September...

Jesper Hornskov is perhaps the most experienced bird guide in that area. I'm not sure if he's still living in China but I suspect he might still be guiding that area. I would highly recommend him. Some contact details are here:
http://www.wheretowatchbirdsandotherwildlifeintheworld.co.uk/localguides.html

Jesper is relocating back to Denmark this summer (bureaucracy willing) per a recent email I had from him so timing may not be the best.

Roland and Sid may be worth contacting...check the Sichuan birding thread out

McM

Jesper is relocating back to Denmark this summer (bureaucracy willing) per a recent email I had from him so timing may not be the best.

Yes, I thought that was potentially the case. He may still be able to suggest guides, even if he can't do it himself.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back