• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Too late? (1 Viewer)

david2004

I have Blue Tits building a nest in my House Sparrow Terrace. I have seen some checking out nestboxes and doing courtship displays and activity around nesting sites. I was wondering:

Is it too late for birds to nest or begin to nest (particularly Tits)?

Last edited:
wouldn't have thought so, I've only seen a lot of activity around boxes at work in the last few weeks, and there are always more broods during the year.

Hi David, still time for your Blue tits yet, ours are still at the courting stage this lady will not be rushed!! good activety around nest box this morning even with this cold wind & rain. Good luck let us know how yours get on please.

I always think the anticipation is just as much pleasure as the actual nesting ....will she won't she! I wonder if the same process is put into practice when we pich petals of a daisy....she loves me she loves me not!

The B Tits are still only courting around our area at the mo whilst the Coal Tits are well on with the nest

Goos luck David and keep us informed.

Always some late birds - wouldn't say it's too late.

PS up here, the season is only just getting going, many Blue and Great Tits are migrants and they only returned on mass a week or so back!

Thanks everyone. Still a way to go then Jos!

The nest building activity seems to have ceased in the House Sparrow terrace. Did see nesting material being taken in the direction of where some of the boxes are, so maybe it's another pair or they decided to move!

Also had a pair checking out one of the nestboxes! So I suppose it's not too late yet, hopefully.

Hi David

Saw a pair of unknown Sparrows (Tree or House) mating last week, and my neighbour has Tree Sparrows nesting in the same box as last year. Strangely enough, last year it was attached to his shed, this year it is attched to his gate post leading into his paddock! Not that it gets a high amount of use, but to nest in a box attached to a gate that is used on a regular basis is, I think, being brave on th epart of the TS.

Perhaps they are more attached to this box than we imagine. Maybe it hold some fond memories for them!

Regards,

Hi David

I checked my nest boxes yesterday for Blue Tit activity, having seen 3 or 4 pairs regularly flying around in the garden; - one empty, one nest built and just at the "lining with feathers stage", anda pair seemingly nesting in the garage soffitts, taking over this site from last year's Great Tits.

As for time span, well yes, Blue Tits do only have one brood, but they can nest from March to July, so there is still plenty of time left. Seems you are a bit like me - we both are impatient for our nests to be in use and to see our new fledglings. Typically they will probably emerge when we are on holiday!!!

Regards,

Hi Edrick. Thanks. That reassures me a lot. I have seen a pair DEFINITELY checking out the House Sparrow terrace - which is being nested in! It's a very confusing situation with which hole another pair is nesting in, how many pairs, etc.

I am impatient! LOL! I am going holiday at the end of August so I hope not!

Will lots of pairs of Blue Tits nest reasonably close to each other? I heard that the BTO said there was a Blue Tit baby boom in2004 so put up nestboxes.

David

I think it depends on the numbers of pairs and avaliability of sites (not forgetting of course natures supply of food, which can often determine success or failure). I must admit I am not sure of the scientific approach to this question, but look at it this way; if 3 pairs use 3 different facing nests, there is an adequate/abundant supply of food, cover and space for them to fledge and develop into adults, then why not?

It's well known that Blue Tits, out of the breeding season, work hedgerows, trees and other food sources in small to medium size groups/flocks. Are these family groups, or just communal groups? I don't know. Obviously they are not recognised as social species like Sparrows, but that is not to say that occassionally they cannot. Often we hear of more than one nest in what are not neccessarily large gardens, and although they may not be in a "terrace", I would have thought that according to the known law, they are more than close enough to warrant territorial problems. But they survive.

You may have a unique opportunity to actually witness something that not many other people have the chance to do, and I look forward to reading continuing posts of their progress.

We have never had more than one nest at a time in our garden of either Blue or Great Tits, but even between the nests of both types there has never been more than a few yards, and we always have one brood of each.

Perhaps that is the answer.

Hope I have not confused you too much. I new what I wanted to say but seemed to be getting bogged down in trying to get out a reply. Hope it makesd sense!

Regards,

Thanks Edrick. That helps. Something amazing happened today -

The HS Terrace doesn't seem to be very active at the moment. Either because of egg laying or discreet nestbuilding! I saw a BT go into one of my nestboxes out the front of the house and one often goes in there. When it comes out it wipes its beak. Yesterday I saw a pair INSPECT the House Sparrow Terrace. Don't know what's happening there!

But the amazing thing was that this other box that I saw a pair go to - they are nesting!!! One bird has been taking in nesting material for ages today - HUGE beakfuls of moss! It is very close to the House Sparrow Terrace, and I really have know idea what is going on. Wish someone knew!! Still brilliant that I have a nesting pair - whether it is another pair, the same pair, or whatever!

Hi David

This terrace thing is turning out to be a right lark (no pun intended), and one which you could easily write a book on.

In answer to your last post, I can only offer the following:

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I can recall seeing on the internet one BT build a second nest and lay eggs in the same box as one already well into the egg laying stage. There was a photo to support this - two nests, two sets of eggs, two hens. I'm not sure if they were fathered by the same male. Have you come across this info, or has anyone else? I can only vaguely remember seeing the pictures posted.

Secondly, many years ago I used to keep caged birds, and it was not uncommon for some species (especially Zebra Finches), to continually build one nest upon another, even though there were eggs in the nests. Rather like a block of flats, but with only the top layer hatching chicks. I remember having to be very strict and not provide anymore nesting material once the first nest had been built. This problem was increased if the birds were in a communal flight. Often one pair would build on top of another pairs nest, if given half the chance. And before you ask, yes, there were plenty of alternative nesting places provided!!!

Hopes this puts your mind totally at ease and answeres any queries you may have!!!!

Regards,

Thanks Edrick. Have never heard of this double nest scenario before! Nobby's BT's are doing something quite similar though. One female is laying eggs in the clutch already there and the original female is incubating them!

I have seen some activity in the House Sparrow Terrace, usually the occasional flight towards it. This either means the male is feeding the female as she lays eggs/is incubating or it is the female going to feed and returning. The other box is still having a nest being built!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back