• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with hand-rearing blackbirds! (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

Any help on this would be really appreciated.
One of our cats has brought back two blackbird chicks in the last week. Both were still alive, and we've managed to keep them that way for the last few days.
However, they're getting pretty big now, and will soon be ready to leave our spare room. I wondered if anyone had any advice on how we could encourage them to find their own food? Should we put food out when we release them, and show them where it is? Just in case they have trouble finding food.

Cheers,

Dan

feeding problem

Mealworms I reckon!
My Blackbird carries them away 4 at a time, so I guess they are being fed to their chicks, and likewise my Robins!

Good luck,

madmike

The reason Egg is good is because of protein - most hand rearing food for birds is a Egg Food mix which you can buy at the pet shop they have different varieties for different birds - I have heard that dog food is good but I would check up on that one if I was you!
Are they flying yet? another idea would be to grind some bird seed and soak it for them so they get a taste for it!

The blackbirds in my garden also love pears! I just peel them and chop them into small pieces for the parents to carry off into the undergrowth for the fledglings.

Good luck with your little chickies! :0)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back