• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Window Strikes (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

I have lost count how many times this summer I have heard the horrible thud as a bird has hit my living room window, and have rushed outside fearing the worst, but luckily no casualty, just the impact mark sometimes, and maybe a few feathers. However, last Wednesday, one young Chaffinch was not so lucky, but he was sitting on the path, alive, but obviously stunned. I have bird transfers and butterfly ones on the window, but frankly, they don't do much. So I put the little fellow in a box for a while and he seemed to perk up, so then returned him outside and put him in a bush, well hidden, and he flew away a short time after. But I decided enough is enough and wanted to do something about this, before something ended up dead.

I went to B&Q and for £2.89 bought a 4m x 2m green protection net which is used for putting over fruit bushes I believe, and I have fixed this over the window really tightly. Luckily I have aerial cables down either side of the window and running along the top, so it was very easy to fix on. It doesn't obscure my view at all really, and for some reason, the birds don't seem to see me looking at them now, so it's good they don't all fly off in a panic as soon as I come in the room. I can still open the windows too, I only wish I'd thought of it before. |=)|

Attachments

• bkgdn.jpg
    bkgdn.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 156
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back