• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2011 List Going? (1 Viewer)

On a Vesper Sparrow quest this morning I got a few MD migrants "gimmes" and, finally, a Merlin (about damn time).

138. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
139. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
140. Vesper Sparrow
141. Barn Swallow
142. Merlin
143. Caspian Tern

since the last update:

137. Swallow
138. Green Sandpiper
139. Avocet
140. House Martin
141. Sedge Warbler
142. Little Ringed Plover
143. Yellow Wagtail
144. Whitethroat
145. Corn Bunting

My world yearlist is on 182 thanks to a week in North Cyprus

On a Vesper Sparrow quest this morning I got a few MD migrants "gimmes" and, finally, a Merlin (about damn time).

138. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
139. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
140. Vesper Sparrow
141. Barn Swallow
142. Merlin
143. Caspian Tern

I've somehow managed to miss Vesper Sparrow so far this year (and winter). Don't know if that's just me or whether there haven't been as many as usual around in our area.

Jeff

Only one new bird today. Cold, windy weather has apparently slowed migration and new birds are hard to come by right now.

438. Common Yellowthroat

Dave

To keep me motivated, I'm aiming for 300 Texas species this year, compared to my 2010 totals of 263 for Texas and 299 for the USA.

With 228 species so far, I'm about 65 ahead of this time last year; in fact, in 2010 I was only at 208 by the end of June. However, I'll really have to put my skates on because last year I added 36 species in Utah plus several in Big Bend, and I'm not visiting either place this year.

Birding here is getting easier, though, as I now know the local sites better and have a clearer idea of when to visit them.

Jeff

The birding "picked up" a little bit today, even though it was pretty breezy and cold. These nine species were found around the various oxbow lakes south of Saint Joseph, Missouri.

147. Green Heron, Lake Contrary
148. Bank Swallow, Lake Contrary
149. Sora, Lake Contrary
150. Eastern Kingbird, Lake Contrary
151. Hudsonian Godwit, Horseshoe Lake
152. Willet, Horseshoe Lake
153. Wilson's Phalarope, Muskrat Lake
154. Semipalmated Plover, Muskrat Lake
155. Dunlin, Muskrat Lake

144. Chimney Swift

Dipped on a FOY Yellow Warbler seen by a birding group I passed on their way out of the local state park... I'll get one soon enough.

I picked up two more birds today for Missouri 2011 List:

156. Black-necked Stilt, Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri. * Do not get this every year!
157. Franklin's Gull, Horseshoe Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Cold, windy, miserable weather persists, so birding hasn't been very good at all over the last few days. However, I did get one new bird today.

439. American Osprey

Dave

Winds keep coming from the south, meaning that most migrant songbirds are passing over our area and landing much further inland.
Going a little way into the hill country tomorrow and may see a few different birds there. It's going to be 90+F and very windy, though, so we might not have much luck.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Finally a break from the rain and wind, but birding was still a little slow. I did manage to see three new birds, so I'm up to 442 for the year.

440. Ovenbird
441. Great Crested Flycatcher
442. Ruby-throated Hummingbird

In addition to the birds listed above, I added Black-throated Green Warbler to my ABA Area and Indiana year lists, which are at 165 and 158, respectively.

Dave

One new bird today for the year, so my Year List is up to 443.

443. Sora Rail

In addition, I added Black-crowned Night Heron to my ABA Area and Indiana year lists, which are at 167 and 160, respectively.

Dave

93. Great Reed Warbler (Kuwait)

94. Green Sandpiper (Kuwait)

95. Tawny Pipit (Kuwait)

96. Black Redstart (Kuwait)

97. Black-winged Stilt (Kuwait)

98. Steppe Buzzard (Kuwait)

99. White-throated Robin (male & 1st wt) (Kuwait)

100. Montagu's Harrier (male & female) (Kuwait)

101. Wood Sandpiper (Kuwait)

102. Whiskered Tern (Kuwait)

103. Black-winged Pratincole (Kuwait)

104. Basra Reed Warbler (Kuwait)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back