• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher ID, Madera Canyon, Arizona (1 Viewer)

ornithographyplus

Ornithographer
For ID, Madera Canyon, Arizona

Two different birds

Attachments

• grfl_maca_032415_IMG_0071 birdforum.jpg
    grfl_maca_032415_IMG_0071 birdforum.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 173
  • wavi_maca_032515_IMG_0155.jpg
    wavi_maca_032515_IMG_0155.jpg
    931.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
It is frustrating not to be able to give certain answers with such nice photos, but here are my thoughts. The first is a Dusky/Hammond's/Gray type Empid. My guess would be Dusky Flycatcher based mostly on the bill, but I wish we had a view that showed the primary projection. The second is a vireo, my guess would be Cassin's Vireo.

On the flycatcher, the primary projection looks not very long, so I still think Dusky Flycatcher is most likely. On the vireo, the wingbars are too prominent for a Warbling or even a Bell's; I am not sure why the lores are not appearing brighter, but I still think Cassin's fits best.

First one looks like an ash-throated flycatcher. All the Cassin's I've seen in CA and AZ have a very conspicuous white spectacle. It could be the shot, but if this one lacked it, I'd say this is a Bell's.

The vireo looks a pretty clear Bell's to me. Looks fine for one and the face pattern is way off for Cassin's. Note also the rather short primary projection - should be somewhat longer on Cassin's.

I agree with Bell's Vireo. The flycatcher is definitely an empid -- Ash-throated would have a heavier bill, no eye ring, and a much longer rusty-brown tail. Empids are always tricky, but I'm leaning toward Cordilleran. The yellow-orange on the bill and the shape of the eye ring (sharp point behind the eye) seem better for that species than Dusky/Hammond's, IMO.

Empids are always tricky, but I'm leaning toward Cordilleran. The yellow-orange on the bill and the shape of the eye ring (sharp point behind the eye) seem better for that species than Dusky/Hammond's, IMO.

Maybe, but if this is a Cordilleran it is on the very very dullest end of the color range for that species.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back