• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help on Raptor in Iraq (1 Viewer)

rdp68

This photo was taken in Sunnuni, Iraq during the summer of 2003. It is a wild bird that the town's children brought to me. I obtained permission from Admin prior to posting, just to make sure I was within the guidelines of the forum. The bird was a juvenile that could not fully fly on it's own. I cared for it for a few days until it was able to fly, then released it back into the wild. I have been unable to positively ID it and would love to hear your input. I have considered everything from Buzzards to Short-Toed Snake Eagle, [Circaetus gallicus]. I am just unsure especially because of the birds age. Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Sununi.jpg
    Sununi.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 151
On another site, I was told that it was much too small to be either a Steppe or Long Legged Buzzard. He thought that it was a Short-Toed Eagle due to the size and rounded head. I've been convinced both ways at different times. It is frustrating, Raptors have always been difficult for me, especially a juvenile from a picture taken so long ago. At least I have a picture to help with the fading memories. Thank you for the input.

On another site, I was told that it was much too small to be either a Steppe or Long Legged Buzzard. He thought that it was a Short-Toed Eagle due to the size and rounded head.

Short-toed Eagle is substantially larger than either Common or Long-legged Buzzards, so that's very strange advice from that other site!

On another site, I was told that it was much too small to be either a Steppe or Long Legged Buzzard. He thought that it was a Short-Toed Eagle due to the size and rounded head.
As said, this is, um, exotic - a Short-toed Eagle is about as big as a large Turkey Vulture.
The Steppe Buzzard (smallish ssp. of Common Buzzard) is actually the smallest of the three.

Last edited:
I think it looks smaller than it is due to a rare reverse (and probably accidental) example of forced perspective - the bird is further from the camera than the man's head. Usually you see it deliberately done the other way, to make fish, snakes or "giant" rats as reported by dodgy tabloid newspapers look bigger! (and my ID guess would be Buteo rufinus)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back