• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eastern Ontario (1 Viewer)

Sorry for no pictures my camera is on the fritz and he's a ittle shy but Ill try describing as I'm curious.

On our small farm I saw a scarlet tanager an oriole, bobolinks . kingbirds, tree swallows,blue jays ravens and a thrush today.

I also have a bird outside our window for the life I have no idea what it is but has been around for a few years.
"He" is quite loud with many different voices and sings in the evening and early morning , a larger bird with a long (split?) tail. I also believe a light (white) chest and darker body.He never really shows himself.

I'm thinking mockingbird but Ive never seen one before and I'm seeking more experienced birders for a clue.

Many thanks Jeff

"Many different voices", very loud, keeps it up continuously - all sounds like a mockingbird or catbird.

Both are greyish overall, and about the size of a robin with a longer tail. (Mockingbirds are slightly bigger than catbirds.) Mockingbirds have more contrast between pale belly and dark-grey wings, show flashes of white on wings and outer tail in flight, and have a bit of a facial stripe right through the eye.

Catbirds are a more uniform naval grey, with a thin dark cap and a brick-red "vent" area (behind the legs). They'll sometimes use a cry that sounds like a complaining cat, or a tetchy baby, but they often just imitate the birds and other noises around them (orioles, sparrows, cell phones) in a rapid, uninterrupted gush.

So, mockingbird is almost surely right. They do live over a decade, so it may well be the same bird in your yard all this time.

Last edited:
Definitely sounds like a Mockingbird.

Hi Jeff and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum ;)

and many thanks for having me...and great information

are both common to south/eastern Ontario ?

I'm armed with cellphone camera hoping for a pic during sunset which seems one of his favourites

was just chasing it around it wont let me get to close, the leaves on the trees are getting filled but with bino's it does have a pale chest and I was going to mention the beak looked long and pointy just like a mockingbird.
After flushing it from a tree and flying away from me, it looked to me like brown thrasher colour shoulder/back and tail. That sort of orangey.
I do have 2 video of its song but the file is to large to post and were pushing my abilities to downsize

why would a grown person chase a bird around to get a picture?

this is as close as I can get with I phone.

You can see the general shape, long skinny beak and orangy brown colour

Attachments

• IMG_4616.JPG
    IMG_4616.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 38
Yep, it's a Brown Thrasher.

This is (with the Grey Catbird) our most common mimic, much more common here than the Mockingbird. If you listen to it sing for a while, you'll notice that the song consists of paired phrases - unlike the Catbird's continuous, rambling, chatter and the Mocker's triples.

thankyou Peter..

I didn't know a brown thrasher was a mimicer? Ive never heard a brown thrasher even sing so I cant confirm.
One other tidbit , I flushed 5 brown thrashers yesterday with our ATV and they are very brown where this is like a robin breast colour and the brown thrashers were another 30 percent larger. Could this be a female with duller plumage?
I do have a video of its song and if someone would supply an e address with the knowledge of compressing it and posting it I would send it.

thankyou Peter..

Could this be a female with duller plumage?
No, the males and females are identical, and there are no obvious age differences at this time of year, either. I suspect the difference in the perception of colour is a result of the different circumstances when you were looking at the birds (E.g. up against a bright sky vs. low against a darker background.)

P.C.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back