• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need sparrow feeding help (1 Viewer)

g0o0gle3y3s

Hello everyone. I need some help! I have a 4 week old House Sparrow and I have been feeding him the baby bird formula since he was just a baby. I have read that he should be starting to convert to seeds/adult food but the seeds are too hard for him to break and swallow. What should I do?

Maybe you could shell them first? Or just crack the edges slightly so that it can learn to crack them by itself. I've never reared a young bird myself so thats all I can suggest.

Thanks for replying! I cant really crack the seeds myself. I tried but they are really hard. My brother thinks the bird will grow into cracking the seeds himself but im not too sure...And its been a while since we bought these seeds for the bird.

try him with a finch mix or a millet spray

A finch mix? Are sparrows counted as Finches? We have looked up millets before but according to the one we saw at petsmart, it is only for snack and not actually a meal. We recently bought a type of seed that is for sparrows that is easier to break. Our sparrow seems to be able to eat it but he doesn't seem to show interest in the seeds and seems more interested in the baby formula instead...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back