• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attrating Warblers? -Michigan (1 Viewer)

Rapala

I would love to attract warblers down from the treetops and get some good pictures, as all my previous pictures are a little blur and a lot of branches, but all of my attempts have failed. Does anyone have any advice on how to attract these birds? I've tried putting out a birdbath, but that didn't work. Thanks

Something with flowing or dripping water might tempt them down. My parents have a small waterfall, where I've seen Tennessee and Yellow-rumped Warblers bathe (along with local birds). Some species will also forage in lower vegetation like large bushes or small trees (the brushier the better), which form a sort of bridge between the ground and the canopy. Some species just really like to stay up high, though. And you might find that your pictures of lower-foraging birds are little blurs from the side instead of the bottom, with the same amount of branches.

If you're really serious about it, a treehouse might help 3:)

It seems to me that the bird photographers here in Missouri have their best results by setting up near a water feature, viz. a bubbler fountain or running/flowing water into a pond.

Something with flowing or dripping water might tempt them down

How much would something like that cost? Or would it be possible to make something like that? Also, where should I place it? I could put it in our yard (which is surrounded by spruce and aspens) or in a clearing in the woods - also surrounded by trees. Is there anything I could feed them? Berries, suet etc.

I wonder too about an elaborate birdbath which has a fountain aspect? You might try raising the question of building/installing a water feature in the Garden Bird subforum too. I'm sure some people have done it and I think I've read about it, but can't find the discussion off hand. (The reptiles and amphibians section have had a thread or two on ponds perhaps?)

Because warblers eat insects, and are used to looking for live squiggling ones, I'm not sure there is any food that you can provide to attract them.

How much would something like that cost? Or would it be possible to make something like that? Also, where should I place it? I could put it in our yard (which is surrounded by spruce and aspens) or in a clearing in the woods - also surrounded by trees. Is there anything I could feed them? Berries, suet etc.

The eastern form of Yellow-rumped Warbler is called the "Myrtle Warbler" because in the winter it depends on on wax myrtle berries for most of its diet. I believe they and a few other species sometimes visit suet feeders, but I have not seen it myself. Once migration rolls around, though, I think they all strongly prefer live insect food. I'm not sure if any warblers are big enough to tackle a mealworm.

I have seen kits to add a water dripper to existing bird baths, but I don't remember how much they cost. A quick look at Lowe's website shows a wide variety of prefab fountains and pond kits from below $100 up to several hundreds; I can't really tell which ones would be best for birds. The main things you want are a flat shallow area for the birds to splash around and the sound of running water. My instinct is that they would be more attracted to water running down (waterfall-ish) than water spraying into the air (fountain-ish). You could also build your own custom pond/waterfall, but having worked on one myself I can tell you that it is always more of a hassle than anticipated. You probably want to keep things as simple as possible if your main interest is in a lure for photography.

Siting is also important. I would recommend putting it in your yard since the pump will require electricity. It should be near vegetation, but not close enough to impede visibility. This is as much for the birds as it is for you. My parents' waterfall, which is backed up against a bush, is mainly visited by migrants and larger local birds, which are fairly wary while visiting it. The local Chickadees and Goldfinches seem to prefer drinking from the ant moat on the hummingbird feeder.

Hopefully some of that is helpful to you. Basically, what I think you want is a glorified birdbath with flowing water, positioned in a spot convenient for both you and the birds.

How large of a "waterfall birdbath" would work best to accomodate warblers? Just looking around I found some that are around 8x7x5, but that seemed fairly small...? I'm new to this "moving water" birdbath concept. Is this picture I have attached similar to what you use?
Thanks

Attachments

• bird bath.jpg
    bird bath.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Rapala, the water feature really does not have to be large. The thing that seems to attract the warblers is the sound of the moving water. They seem to hone in on that knowing it will be a good place for a drink and/or bath!

At the place I do volunteer banding, on Lake Erie, they have a large jug of water tied to a tree. There's a little plastic tube coming out of it with stop-cock on it, to reduce the flow. This drips water into a little "bowl" made of flat rocks. The resulting "drip list" is quite impressive... but you've still got to be very patient to get a photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back