• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mist nets (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Hi, Browsing ebay I came across mist nets for sale. I thought you needed to have a license to purchase bird trapping items or am I mistaken.

Regards Gerard.

Sorry I found an old thread on the same subject in which I even contributed. Memory must be going. Anyway Ive started reporting the sellers in that they are encouraging illegal activity.

Regards Gerard.

not illegal to sale - I would not waste your time reporting them to ebay as they will do nothing - alas - only illegal to use - in most counteries

People who use these to catch birds will know exactly what they are.

What worries me is anyone buying them in all innocence to protect fruit trees etc thinking they will just stop birds. Without training most mortals will not be able to extract anything that gets in to a mist net without either causing serious injury or death. It should be illegal to posses them without a licence/permit.

Last edited:
not illegal to sale - I would not waste your time reporting them to ebay as they will do nothing - alas - only illegal to use - in most counteries

That is not a good enough excuse to do nothing. Ebay will get the message if a sufficient number of people contact them.

Another possibility is to start a public petition to target Ebay for allowing this. 'Care2' petitions: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/ often garner hundreds of thousands of signatures and might be viewed as negative publicity by the target of the petitioners.

What I don't get is why mist nets are sold to protect fruit trees, etc. Surely it would be better to use a net that birds can see to discourage them from landing on trees? Mist nets are designed to trap birds not discourage them aren't they? Illogical to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back