• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringed Siskin (1 Viewer)

Papa 10

Miserable Old Git
The Siskin in the attached photo, which in not the greatest due to being taken through glass whilst it was raining, is bearing a ring. Is this ring conducive with those currently used by the BTO as it appears 'longer' than what I remember from the distant past? A Web search shows a Siskin ringing scheme in Scotland but does not stipulate any ring 'type' data. Obviously at the distance no details could be ascertained.There is a local flock containing 50+ birds but I have not noticed any bearing rings.

Attachments

• Siskin.JPG
    Siskin.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 240
Have you thought of moving your feeder station closer to the window for a better chance of ring transcription?

My "set-up" is circa 7' from the window, and I've enjoyed some success, with rings being read and sent off to the BTO, with "returns" coming from North Wales, Yorkshire, Suffolk, Kent and an exceptional from Brussels (all Redpolls) apart from one Siskin from Lancs (If memory serves).

Cheers

Have you thought of moving your feeder station closer to the window for a better chance of ring transcription?

My "set-up" is circa 7' from the window, and I've enjoyed some success, with rings being read and sent off to the BTO, with "returns" coming from North Wales, Yorkshire, Suffolk, Kent and an exceptional from Brussels (all Redpolls) apart from one Siskin from Lancs (If memory serves).

Cheers

Thanks Ken but firstly this is the first ringed bird, I've noticed, to visit the feeders and secondly I have 'feeder raiders' (as shown in attached photo) so have to site the feeders accordingly.. This young ram loves sunflower hearts and 'wrecks' the feeding stations unless they are fenced and even then he will climb the fence as can be seen. Do you think it is a BTO ring ?

Attachments

• Chester.JPG
    Chester.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
A ring that size won't look much different at a distance from rings used in overseas schemes (some larger rings look plain chunkier and bland in comparison, which gets the heart racing as you know it's a foreign recovery) however that exact shade of metal alloy would be fine for a BTO ring and lots of Siskin get ringed in this country.

A ring that size won't look much different at a distance from rings used in overseas schemes (some larger rings look plain chunkier and bland in comparison, which gets the heart racing as you know it's a foreign recovery) however that exact shade of metal alloy would be fine for a BTO ring and lots of Siskin get ringed in this country.

Thank you for your input, I never even considered 'foreign' rings my main concern was that it may be an escaped cagebird. As you have probably gathered, although I appreciate that valuable information is collated from ringing it has never been 'my thing'. I have made a slight contribution inasmuch any information from ringed corpses found have been passed on in addition to the rings read on larger birds. Thanks again for allaying my concerns.:t:

Hi I photographed a siskin in the garden which has a leg ring. Sadly , it's either been badly fitted or caused injury and the poor birds foot is nearly black and causing it distress.
Ideas anyone ?
Rosebird

Feet diseases are quite common in birds. It is unlikely be due to the ringing. If you are feeding the birds I would thoroughly clean your feeders as the these infections are very contagious.

Hi I photographed a siskin in the garden which has a leg ring. Sadly , it's either been badly fitted or caused injury and the poor birds foot is nearly black and causing it distress.
Ideas anyone ?
Rosebird
Hi Rosebird!
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Feet diseases are quite common in birds. It is unlikely be due to the ringing. If you are feeding the birds I would thoroughly clean your feeders as the these infections are very contagious.
Hi , thanks for the reply but after further research ,it looks like gangrene ,which is caused by blood flow being cut off .
I'm so sad that I cannot help it.

Hi Rosebird!
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)
Hi just seen a ringed siskin at my feeder in N.ireland do they ring them here will try to get a picture

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back