• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few from Reno Nevada (1 Viewer)

steveMc

Hello All,

I was in Reno last week on business and managed one short afternoon walk at the Oxbow Nature Area, was a great spot with lots of nice birds (Steller's Jay, California Quail, etc..)

I wanted some opinions on the attached 3 pictures. First one I believe is a Bewick's Wren based on song and tail length, just wondered about the eyebrow line not being that distinct.

Next two I am not sure. The bird in the bushes is a little hard to see, may have to zoom in. It was briefly flycatching over the river, landed for 3-4 seconds (when I took the pic), then disappeared into the trees.

The bird on the wire was about the size of a House Finch, maybe slightly larger as it was distant.

Steve

Attachments

• ID1.jpg
    ID1.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 137
  • ID2.jpg
    ID2.jpg
    818 KB · Views: 116
  • ID3.jpg
    ID3.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 116
Thanks, hadn't considered Lazuli, will research that a bit.

Was wondering if the middle one could be a Black Phoebe?

Based on the minimal supercilium, heavily barred wings, gray throat, and pink legs, I would say that the first photo shows a House Wren rather than a Bewick's.

See your points, but isn't the tail too long for House Wren?

That was my take too, the tail looked far too long. Also the song/calls it was doing were nothing I had heard from House Wrens. Back here in Ontario we have them in the yard so I hear them contantly. And I mean constantly! :)

Perhaps a juvenile Bewick's?

Checked up, juvenile Bewick's hardly differs from adult. I'm coming round more to House though, except pehaps for the remote possibility of a hybrid between the two (?? - does anyone know if such is recorded?). I'd not be surprised if songs of House differed between different parts of its large range, worth looking at Xeno-canto and comparing House Wren songs from NV (this one is the closest to Reno).

I keep looking at this, and have to go with House Wren because of the barring on the wing covts and scapulars. But that tail looks insanely long at that angle!

I keep looking at this, and have to go with House Wren because of the barring on the wing covts and scapulars. But that tail looks insanely long at that angle!

Isn't that called the parallax....ie images taken of swimming pools for e.g. appearing to show them almost twice their actual size?

I'm leaning towards House now as well. The tail did appear long to me in person and the call was strange, but the lack of eyeline doesn't seem right for Bewick's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back