• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Biebrza Marshes - Poland (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

United Kingdom
20 shots that I'm not sure of and would appreciate some help. Only 5 photos per post as that's the max allowed so this is spread over 4 posts. each file is numbered between 1-20.

1- pipit ?
2- pipit ?
3- whitethroat ?
4-
5- wood warbler ?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 172
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 206
birds 6-10

6- just a common buzzard ?
7- looks like a reed bunting but book doesn't have the prominent eye stripe ?
8- ?? in dense reeds
9- ??
10- ??

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 160
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
birds 11-15

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 144
Birds 16-20

18 - hopefully not just a common kestrel
19 - looks like a sedge warbler but seemed very dark ??

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 169
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 155
16 common whitethroat
17 looks to be another willow warbler (this one is a bit hard in ecxcluding chiffchaff) but i'm quite sure about WW
18 montagu's harrier (much better than kestrel ;) )
19 sedge warbler
20 white-tailed eagle

Last edited:
Nice to see your trip went well at the end!

13. - maybe juvenile Whitethroat? Did you, by chance, seen it next to the bird 12.?

Nice to see your trip went well at the end!

13. - maybe juvenile Whitethroat? Did you, by chance, seen it next to the bird 12.?

Hi Jurek. Yes an exciting trip in many ways with the crash and all ! Nice to see penduline tit, thrush nightingale, aquatic warblers and WT eagle but disappointing not to see S or LS eagle, booted warblers, bluethroats or any eastern woodpeckers. I guess you can't see everything in a day and a half !

Thanks for your help and info on this.

Tony

Last edited:
Actually having looked at images of booted warblers on google are you sure none of those named as willow warblers are actually booted? They were in locations where gosney had said booted warblers were found and I had played their song to look for a reaction. I'd wrongly assumed booted warblers looked nothing like that.....mainly as id confused in my mind with barred warblers ☺️ !!

Actually having looked at images of booted warblers on google are you sure none of those named as willow warblers are actually booted? They were in locations where gosney had said booted warblers were found and I had played their song to look for a reaction. I'd wrongly assumed booted warblers looked nothing like that.....mainly as id confused in my mind with barred warblers ☺️ !!

From the Hippolais family, I tend to find Booted Warblers do have the superficial appearance closest to Phyllosc warblers (shorter billed, rounder headed), often looking sort of Chiffchaff like. However all of the birds in your images are WWs as previously stated. Booted Warblers are much more pallid than these birds, lacking yellowish tones and with a stronger bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back