• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG II users, past or present.... (1 Viewer)

I guess I'd be a D - buy a bunch of binoculars in different price ranges and determine what I think is the best price:performance value, and keep that one.

I guess I'd be a D - buy a bunch of binoculars in different price ranges and determine what I think is the best price:performance value, and keep that one.
I guess I am a D too. The only trouble is for some reason I like the binoculars in the higher price ranges and end up keeping those.

Bob:

IMO bin users belong to one of the following three categories:
a) You buy one bin and stick with it all your life.
b) You buy several bins along the years but never sell any (or you sell just a few), and end-up with a "collection".
c) You keep only a few bins (maybe just a couple) and strive to have their latest (or at least recent) versions by selling the older ones.

I agree that many birders fall in a), but I believe that most members of the BF are in b) or c). You appear to suggest that b) is better than c) but I am leaning towards c)....

Peter.

I am DEFINITELY a "B." Let's be honest. I could have stopped at a SV 8.5X42 for general use and the Vanguard ED II for the truck and called it a day. But I enjoy trying different ones and comparing. Absolutely no way can I come to any meaningful conclusion after a 30 minute trip to Cabelas. Outside of eye relief/fitment actual field conditions is the real world and the only way to evaluate a binocular IMO. Also...some binoculars are just better in some situations. I can find something good in every binocular so I tend to keep quite a few.

Agree :t:

I am DEFINITELY a "B." Let's be honest. I could have stopped at a SV 8.5X42 for general use and the Vanguard ED II for the truck and called it a day. But I enjoy trying different ones and comparing. Absolutely no way can I come to any meaningful conclusion after a 30 minute trip to Cabelas. Outside of eye relief/fitment actual field conditions is the real world and the only way to evaluate a binocular IMO. Also...some binoculars are just better in some situations. I can find something good in every binocular so I tend to keep quite a few.

Chuck:

I was a B too for a while, but then I have turned into a C by selling the bins In my "collection" that were getting little use, if any. By the way, regarding "bin collections" we are all dwarfed by Simon's collection and Frank's collection (true, of a different sort):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/binoculars/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/

Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
The only company I've had better experience with than Swarovski is Vortex - they will literally repair/replace any pair of binoculars damaged for any reason, no questions asked.
Yes, but do they give you FREE stuff?

YES.
Swaro's service is excellent but Vortex service is even better: life-time, no fault. In my experience Vanguard service is also very good.

Chuck:

I was a B too for a while, but then I have turned into a C by selling the bins In my "collection" that were getting little use, if any. By the way, regarding "bin collections" we are all dwarfed by Simon's collection and Frank's collection (true, of a different sort):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/binoculars/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/

Peter.

I may get to the "C" point. But you know....I didn't buy a binocular to NOT like it and usually I DO! THAT'S my problem.(Among other things...I have the same issue with motorcycles!)

YES.
Swaro's service is excellent but Vortex service is even better: life-time, no fault. In my experience Vanguard service is also very good.

The best thing about those two for us...the service centers are located in USA. Swarovski's communication is FANTASTIC! You are sent an email of your optic's location every time that changes. Great to be kept in the loop.

Swarovski has the best customer service I have ever seen in ANY company. They are amazing. I could go on and on how they have bent over to satisfy me. The CS is worth a LOT.

I recall Nikon giving you a brand new EDG II to replace a POS EDG I you picked up off ebay.... why don't you acknowledge this as stand up customer service? Yet, your praise goes to Swarovski??? And why do you have so many needs of customer service???

CG

Swarovski has the best customer service I have ever seen in ANY company. They are amazing. I could go on and on how they have bent over to satisfy me. The CS is worth a LOT.

I was wondering how many times you had to return binoculars to Swarovski for service. Can you advise us?

Bob

If I were concerned about "losing money," I SHOULD have quit and long, long time ago.

It's not (only) about losing money---we're not in this "business" to make money---it's (also) about having a simpler choice to make every time when you're going out in the field: A (or D) no choice needed, C (easy choice, depending on how much weight you want to carry etc.), and B (harder and harder choice as the size of your "collection" increases).

I guess I'm in the C category; 2 to 3 bins for different uses, but
they don't necessarily have to be the latest model, just ones that
fit me well.

Everyone talks about the "smooth focus" of the EDG. I bought a reconditioned 7x42 a couple of years ago and the focus is very stiff. I thought with time it would loosen up, but it remains so stiff that I hardly ever use it. Any suggestions what to do or where to send it?

When it comes down objective measurement I will definitely go with those from Gijs whose methodology and results have been independently verified.

The sparkles are caused by the La Trappe Quaddrupel beer.
An indispensible companion for precision laboratory testing!

I'll gladly sign both of those... now I must find a more consistent source of La Trappe over here. And also a warning is in order, more than one bottle and bino testing might be cut short by the tester keeling over.

Joachim

Where is Bruce when you need him?

If you mean me, I'm here! I've been side tracked on some other projects and am now slowly getting caught up on the Forum posts. I do drift away at times, but I always come back like a bad penny.

If you currently own an EDG, 42mm specifically......What are your likes/dislikes? How does it compare to any similar quality binoculars you own or have owned?
Thanks....

My current collection includes a 10X42 Nikon EDG-II and a 7X42 Nikon EDG-II. The 10X42 was my primary binocular for a couple of years or so and if I could have only had one binocular, that would have been it. I think it is a great instrument. However, I got a Zeiss SF 10X42 over a year ago and it is now my first choice for a general purpose binocular.

Positives:
- Exceptional focus mechanism.
- Near flat view.
- Excellent optical qualities.
- Feels good in the hands.
- Consistent quality from unit to unit.
- Good price if purchased right.
- Rated first by Allbino for a 10X42.
- Few stray light and glare issues.

Negatives:
- Ever changing warranty.
- Less resale appeal.
- Potential diopter issues and hinge tightness adjustment.
- Waning interest shown by Nikon in the high end optics market.
- Some armor issues.

Comparison to Similar Models:

The Nikon EDG-II is an excellent binocular and I prefer it over the Swaro EL SV because of the smoother and more precise focus mechanism and better glare handling. As good as it is, I think for my purposes, the Zeiss SF is better. Basically, just about everything that the EDG does well, the SF beats it. The two most noticeable improvements are the wider field of view and the better balance (although the balance of the EDG is very good). The SF also seems to have a little bit better contrast making detail stand out a little bit more. The EDG does have a smoother focus, but the SF is just fine. Here is a link to a post of mine in another somewhat recent thread on the subject.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3382477&postcount=29

Here are Jerry's follow-up comments .....

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3382518&postcount=31

Personal Preferences:

Color balance, apparent brightness and sharpness: The color balance of Zeiss and Swaro seems to be closer to neutral to me than does the Nikon. The Nikon is slightly more on the warm side. I suspect that is why things look a little brighter in the SF and Swaro. This is especially true for the Swaro with what looks to me as a slightly blue balance. True brightness is about the same for all of these high end binoculars based on the transmission figures. I think some of the comments of the Nikon not being as bright is actually discussing apparent brightness. To me, this is a personal preference decision. The Nikon can give some spectacular views, especially depending on the colors of the subjects being viewed.

Reasons to buy the Nikon:

Even though I like the SF better, there are some good reasons to buy an EDG.
- Lower price for an alpha level binocular.
- Shorter length for those that need it.
- A nice addition to a collection.

I would not buy a new EDG at the suggested retail price. First, the warranty is not competitive for the price and second, the depreciation is high. I have seen like new and refurbished 10X42 units sell for $1,100 or a little less. That is a good deal but the buyer will most likely be responsible for any repairs.

Customer Service:

I am not as negative on Nikon USA customer service as expressed in some of the posts. I have been following posts concerning Nikon USA service for several years and for the most part, it looked good to me.

The issue is that Nikon does not appear to keep a large inventory of spare parts. Once a model is discontinued and the parts run out, then there is no way to fix it.

Nikon has not shown a commitment in my mind to the high end market. Even though they have a life time warranty to the original owner of an EDG, how will they be able to replace it with a unit of equal value if they leave the high end market. If Nikon USA can repair a binocular, it looks like they will do their best. But if there are no parts, then there is not much they can do and I think that is where some of the problems come from.

I really do not understand why Dennis is so negative about Nikon service. He bought a used EDG-I 8X32 off the Bay at a great price, then reported some kind of problem to Nikon. Nikon had him send it in and sent him back a brand new EDG-II 8X32. I really do not know what else Nikon or even Swarovski could have done that was better than that. Personally, I would be thrilled with that kind of response. Actually, I do not recall ever reading a post from Dennis where he had a bad experience with Nikon USA service. As a matter of fact, he used to crow about having his own inside contact person. That sounds like a good thing to me.

Chuck, if you are looking for a binocular that will be better than what you already have, I doubt that will happen. However if you are looking for a binocular to add to your collection that has some unique endearing qualities, such as feel, color balance or one of the best focus mechanisms out there, then the EDG is worth checking out. However for anyone looking for just one general purpose binocular and can afford it, the SF is the better choice.

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce for an in depth and well thought out response! That seems to sum things up very nicely!

Commentary...
It seems the Nikon EDG II was at the pinnacle of the binocular market upon it's introduction. I can remember when it was first introduced and my jaw dropping when I saw the price which was more than anything else in its market. It's price has since dropped but other binoculars have improved to the EDGs equal and maybe even beyond.

Most of the EDGs issues look to be not necessarily the fault of the binocular itself, but rather the fault of Nikon which has lost interest in this class of instrument along with warranty and service a binocular of this caliber deserves.

Overall...the EDG seems to be a binocular that the vast majority of owners really like and enjoy. Most feel it is their best binocular or at the very least still pretty competitive with anything currently on the market. At any rate....I have a Nikon EDG 8X42 on the way on Athens, AL. I'm looking forward to adding it to the mix.. Thanks for everyones comments!

I really do not understand why Dennis is so negative about Nikon service. He bought a used EDG-I 8X32 off the Bay at a great price, then reported some kind of problem to Nikon. Nikon had him send it in and sent him back a brand new EDG-II 8X32. I really do not know what else Nikon or even Swarovski could have done that was better than that. Personally, I would be thrilled with that kind of response. Actually, I do not recall ever reading a post from Dennis where he had a bad experience with Nikon USA service. As a matter of fact, he used to crow about having his own inside contact person. That sounds like a good thing to me.

Dennis' primary criteria are product prestige and resale value; he is a restless and fickle creature of the market.

Chuck ..... I think your commentary does an excellent job of summing things up. The Nikon EDG is an excellent binocular and may be the best choice for certain model segments, depending on the needs of the buyer. I am looking forward to reading you observations on the 8X42 EDG. I hope you like it!

There is not one brand that works best for me across all model segments. My current favorites for the various segments are:
- Zeiss SF: 8X42 (do not have), 10X42
- Swaro EL SV: 10X50, 12X50
- Nikon EDG: 8X32, 10X32

A few other favorites for me are the Zeiss 8X32 and 10X42 Conquest HD (do not have), Swaro SLC HD 8X42 (do not have), Canon 10X42L IS, Nikon Monarch 7 8X30 and last but not least is the Nikon 8X30 EII. Hopefully Zeiss will eventually make it possible for me to add a Zeiss 8X32 SF to the list. If I could only have one binocular, it would be the Zeiss SF 10X42.

David .... Sorry about making this another Dennis thread but I thought it important for those that did not know the history to have an opportunity to come to their own conclusion on Nikon service.

Last edited:
If you mean me, I'm here! I've been side tracked on some other projects and am now slowly getting caught up on the Forum posts. I do drift away at times, but I always come back like a bad penny.

My current collection includes a 10X42 Nikon EDG-II and a 7X42 Nikon EDG-II. The 10X42 was my primary binocular for a couple of years or so and if I could have only had one binocular, that would have been it. I think it is a great instrument. However, I got a Zeiss SF 10X42 over a year ago and it is now my first choice for a general purpose binocular.

Positives:
- Exceptional focus mechanism.
- Near flat view.
- Excellent optical qualities.
- Feels good in the hands.
- Consistent quality from unit to unit.
- Good price if purchased right.
- Rated first by Allbino for a 10X42.
- Few stray light and glare issues.

Negatives:
- Ever changing warranty.
- Less resale appeal.
- Potential diopter issues and hinge tightness adjustment.
- Waning interest shown by Nikon in the high end optics market.
- Some armor issues.

Comparison to Similar Models:

The Nikon EDG-II is an excellent binocular and I prefer it over the Swaro EL SV because of the smoother and more precise focus mechanism and better glare handling. As good as it is, I think for my purposes, the Zeiss SF is better. Basically, just about everything that the EDG does well, the SF beats it. The two most noticeable improvements are the wider field of view and the better balance (although the balance of the EDG is very good). The SF also seems to have a little bit better contrast making detail stand out a little bit more. The EDG does have a smoother focus, but the SF is just fine. Here is a link to a post of mine in another somewhat recent thread on the subject.

I would not buy a new EDG at the suggested retail price. First, the warranty is not competitive for the price and second, the depreciation is high. I have seen like new and refurbished 10X42 units sell for $1,100 or a little less. That is a good deal but the buyer will most likely be responsible for any repairs.

Customer Service:

I am not as negative ..................................................................

Chuck, if you are looking for a binocular that will be better than what you already have, I doubt that will happen. However if you are looking for a binocular to add to your collection that has some unique endearing qualities, such as feel, color balance or one of the best focus mechanisms out there, then the EDG is worth checking out. However for anyone looking for just one general purpose binocular and can afford it, the SF is the better choice.

Bruce,

I had the same positive experience with Nikon's Customer Service. I contacted Nikon USA per instructions on their website and spoke to a person whose job was to handle issues like mine. She gave me detailed instructions followed in writing by e-mail on how to return it. Everything went without a hitch. Tracking was done by e-mail.

The covers on the objective tubes of my 10x32 EDG I which I had owned for nearly 3 years were bubbling and coming loose and the corrugated rubber covering around the focus wheel had stretched and was interfering with the focusing.

Nikon replaced that 10x32 EDG I with a NIB 10x32 EDG II within 2 weeks after I sent mine in to Nikon USA. They had to get my new one from Japan as they did not have one in stock locally. My only costs were postage and insurance to Nikon USA.

I like the ergonomics better on the new EDG II than on the old open framed EDG I and I was very pleased with Nikon's service!:t:

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back