• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do all Binocular? (1 Viewer)

My Zeiss FL 8x42 for sure.

Hello John,

No argument, but I would take a Zeiss 8x32 FL because it is so compact, has a wider Field of View, and is up to almost all daytime observing. The extra light gathering power of your 42 mm. objectives is useful for only a short period either at dawn or at dusk. However, my second choice would be a 7x42.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Thanks for you thoughts Arthur. I'll have to try the 8x32 & 7x42 FLs this weekend when I'm down at the NJAS Optics Sale in Cape May. We're going down to get bins for my wife. No way I'm going to be allowed to supplement my 8x42 FLs with a second pair of FLs. But can't hurt to test them out nonetheless. Maybe my wife can get the 8x32 FLs and we can share from time to time.:t:

One binocular would be a real challenge. Two is easy enough for me, but for just one and only one binocular, I think that the new Leupold switch power 7-12X would come as close as anything on the market. I might gag when I finally see one, I don't know. If the optics are adequate for me, I am seriously considering one at this point.

Realizing that a one binocular approach is going to require something that is a set of compromises you may or may not be willing to accept for overall use. Having said that, what appeals to me about the 7-12X is that it is light enough that you will be less likely to leave it behind than you would a heavier full size model. A Leica Duovid is very likely better optics, but they are too heavy for all binocular uses. 7X is also a fine all around magnification. And that is what may kill the glass at the gate because everybody simply takes it for granted that 8X is the holy grail for all around status. I have a very good Swift 7x36 Eaglet that will quickly give lie to that. For what I have now the 7x36 would be my one binocular choice. The 7-12x will add a quick power boost to look more closely at distant objects. What the 12x optical quality is will determine my ultimate buy or not to buy.

Steve

I agree with Pinewood that the 8x32 format is good for size, weight, FOV, pretty much everything, and the FL has an amazingly clear and sharp view. I have never been distracted by the astigmatism some have noted, but I have the 10x32 version. They replaced my 10x42 Nikon SE's, that's how much I like them. I did need to have the diopter repaired, but none of the current "top 3" can claim perfection. I also have Nikon 8x32 LXs and also like them. I have a hard time carrying full size glass now. My old B&L Elites are as big as I'll go and they are compact by today's 42 standards.

So if I had only one pair, it would probably be the 8x32 FL's. You can find the older version at a big discount now, and someone here said the LotuTec attracts dust.

I think 8x42mm is best all-around power.

I think I would choose Swarovski EL 8.5x42.

I also want to try Zeiss, so this opinion may change.

For me a toss up, between ...

Ultravid 10x32 or Duovid 8+12x42. Portability vs. Versatility. Both optically superb and great all around performers.

My Leica 7 x 42 BN Trinovid. An easy to use, versatile, all purpose binocular. I never tried the Ultravid version. Nikon 8 x 32 SE is my second choice.
Bob

My Canon 12x36 II IS pair. As much as I love my 7x42s, the higher magnification and steadiness of the Canons make for IDs from farther away, and much more detailed views of the closer birds.

Clear skies, Alan

On the basis that a good big 'un beats a good little 'un, it would have to be my Zeiss Jena 8x50BGA Octarem (1984). Built to last for ever, crisp/clear image, heavy but nicely balanced, ideal focus position/feel/control (large central bar, silky smooth, finger tips, elbows in) and 'easy' viewing. Most importantly, and subjectively, it suits ME...

I think 8x42mm is best all-around power.

I think I would choose Swarovski EL 8.5x42.

I also want to try Zeiss, so this opinion may change.

I tried the Swarovski against the Zeiss. Yes the Zeiss seems brighter But on all other counts particularly the handling, balance and hand to eye ease the Swarovski won, so I bought them and am very pleased I did.:-O

After posting this I thought really hard, and then seeing what other's would chose I finaly came to a conclusion of my own! My choice though is, Pentax DCF SP 10x50! It has it's -'s but it's +'s out weigh the rest. I'am sure this could lead to several arguement's? But, having owned this binocular for quite some-time and having survived a fall of ten FT objectives first onto concrete ( sent them for a check-up to Pentax ) luckily caps were on, I can honestly say for the vast majority this is all the glass that one could want or need! No short comings color, resolution, sharpness, lack of cal (YES)very good close focus for a 10x50 and yes I know lacks FOV!!! But, for me though if I could only have one DO ALL Binocular this would be it! There are other's that are a TOUCH BETTER, which I would give-up if I could only have one. Thank's for sharing you're thought's as well, Stereo...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back