• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How much vacation (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hallo,

how much vacation is usual in Your country?
I heard Italy and Finnland has lot free time ?
In Germany 24 days ( Monday - Friday ) is minimum.
Big companies give 30 days. Celebration days are dependend of area between 9 - 14 days. If the celebration day is on weekend, bad luck.

Best regards
Dieter

Just four weeks normally...though as I've had the past eight months off I'm itching to get back into work!!!
*just watch my first day in a new job be when something good drops in briefly at my local sites!*

Gill

Not bad for the NHS, 33 days, + all bank hols, if on call on a bank hol get extra day.

Lithuania sucks in this respect ...20 work days off, plus not very many public holidays and if a public holiday falls on a weekend, no day off in lieu. Last Christmas took the biscuit - both Christmas and New Year holidays were on the Saturdays, so NO additional holiday ...was just like two normal weekends!!!

Couldn't cope with that rubbish, so work for myself - organise work in a way so get my weekend, plus Tuesday and Wednesday off. Take holiday if and when I want - usually a month or there abouts in winter.

Andrew said:
Are you in a 'nice' school Tim or do you need kevlar suits? ;)

Standard in US is 2 weeks but usually that rises as you work there longer, an extra day for every 5 years worked or so. Also you get holidays but no religous ones for obvious reasons but Independence day, Memorial day and a few others but then again not everyone gets them off. Also its 8-5 not 9-5 which seemed more common in the UK when I was there.

Generally 5 weeks plus 8 Public Holidays, with a few exceptions, as Tim says.

Compared to the US and Lithuania, I suppose I shouldn't complain, but I wouldn't mind an increase in Public Holidays... purely for the benefit of EC harmonisation, you understand!!! ;)

And how about the suggestion put up by Simon Barnes in the RSPB magazine last year....all birders should have the whole month of May off! ;)

Now that would be fun....chance to catch up with returning sumnmer migrants and enjoy what must be one of the loveliest months of the year o:)

As long as we also get our normal hols off too! ;)

Gill

Teachers in Hawaii make exceptionally poor wages compared to the cost of living. We considered moving there since my husband's father had a lot-just needed a house to be built on it. Cost of living is so high with low salaries and birds are trapped on the islands so it isn't what you might expect. I love visiting the relatives but don't want to stay.

Give me a place where I can see both eastern and western birds, migration in the spring and fall, enough room in your yard for fruit trees, hedges, feeders, and ponds, lots of countryside to roam, a place to ride my horse, take a vacation to a different eco system on just a couple of tanks of gas and give my child a good education.

Two weeks of vacation is standard after you complete one year here. It will then increase. I have 8 but then I teach.

Vacation

How the people in US managed to see lots of wildlife, landscape and so on.
You have so much beautiful spots. It is difficult to decide where to go. Maybe Hawaii and Alaska are the most spectacular, but the westcoast is also very nice ( e.g. the redwoods are uncompareable ). For birdwatching is Florida very good I think. This evening in ower TV is a report about Mississippi wildlife ( I will see it definetely ).
But for all this nice areas You need lots of time.

Tim Allwood said:
don't know the normal

but for us teachers it's 13 weeks!!! Plenty of birding time.

if you aren't in a 'nice' school you sure do earn it.

Tim

Yep teaching is a pretty good career for world birding, managed 8 weeks birding abroad last year in 2 trips, twice the total leave of many people. Not so good for twitching though as impossible to take a day outside holidays without throwing a 'sickie'. Having said that last years autumn holiday was nicely timed for the ovenbird and I amazingly managed 3 UK ticks during the Easter holiday this year - a year's total normally. The downside: long hours during term time, pointless paper work and depending where you are some children with a serious problems. Also, although most parents are wonderful, some definately aren't.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back