• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shipping goods to USA (from UK) - any pitfalls? (1 Viewer)

Hobbes2

I wasn't sure where to post this question so put it here, I hope that's ok.

I was wondering if anyone in the UK had any experience of shipping optics to the USA, please (or vice verser)? Those of us selling goods in the "For Sale" forum often limit our prospective buyers to within the national boundaries. I just wondered whether there was any reason beyond cost for doing this please? Obviously, there is perhaps more risk of the equipment getting damaged in transport over the longer journey but if the buyer is willing to take that risk, pay the extra cost of postage and the subsequent import tax, then is there any other reason not to do it?

I'd be interested to hear.
Many thanks
Hobbes

pay the extra cost of postage and the subsequent import tax, then is there any other reason not to do it?

I guess that's the most important ones. Re import tax it's not always easy to know how much exactly it will be.

Other issues may be:
- higher costs in case you want to return the item
- warranty not always applies to items bought in another region
- more difficult to go after your money if you get cheated...

Provided you include relevant documentation including the duty code (for binos its 9005 1000) and the order is not over $2,500, there shouldn't be any import taxes to pay going into the US.

However, whenever we raise a pro-forma invoice for overseas shipments, we always notify the buyer of the relevant tariff code and ask them to check locally for any likely taxes, duties etc.

Roll on the free trade agreement...

Check this site for a ready reckoner:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

Cheers, Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back