• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are the differences between Sky and Earth 15-45x60 and Prostaff 65mm? (1 Viewer)

pguidry

I"m looking at both these scopes. It looks like the Prostaff is replacing the Sky and Earth. The Sky and Earth's are deeply discounted right now. Is the Prostaff significantly better?

Right now the Sky and Earth 60mm is under $200 while the Prostaff 65mm is $350. For about $420, I believe I can get a Sky and Earth 80mm. If bigger is better then the 80mm would be the better scope.

Are the Prostaff's significantly better than the Sky and Earth's? I know they are waterproof instead of water resistant. What other differences are there?

The Nikon Prostaff 65 & 80 are porro prism, theNikon 60mm XL is roof prism.The picture is one I took of my brother's sign at 200 yds. away. There are tree limbs closer out of focus in the picture.If anyone wants full size pictures pm me. I blacked out phone number and other stuff in the picture. There is CA in this scope but it is not that bad. I did a resolution test and if I remember right it was 2.2 sec. This scope belongs to my brother-in-law and is light wt. As far as the 80 Sky & Earth goes Outdoor Life magazine picked it as their Editor's Choice the one year. I would have to look in my old magazine to find out what other scopes they compared it to.

http://www.aboutnikon.info/Nikon-Spotting-Scopes.html

more information, looks towards bottom about the Nikon 80 S&E scope

http://www.6mmbr.com/spotterreview.html

Regards,Steve

Attachments

• tom lightner & nikon 65mm spotter 018 (Large).jpg
    tom lightner & nikon 65mm spotter 018 (Large).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 486
  • tom lightner & nikon 65mm spotter 027 resize.jpg
    tom lightner & nikon 65mm spotter 027 resize.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
I have not seen a diagram and the scope you pictured is such a straight tube, it is hard to see where they fit a porro prism in that. Nikon gives no prism info.
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Products/Spotting-Scopes/8308/ProStaff-16-48x65mm-Straight.html

But the similar Spotter is a roof prism.
http://www.aboutnikon.info/Nikon-Spotting-Scopes.html

Nikon’s full selection of Spotting Scopes includes the Nikon ProStaff line of ... This 16-48-power zoom spotting scope features a slim roof prism design, ...
http://www.nikonhunting.com/spotting-scopes.html

Some descriptions include
Phase-Correction Coated Porro prism
a clue that somebody goofed. ;)

Last edited:
Tero, you have misquoted the Nikon page. You left out information between the parts you offset with periods.

nikon said:
Nikon also offers a truly packable spotting scope – the Spotter XLII Scope series. This 16-48-power zoom spotting scope features a slim roof prism design, 60mm objective lens and full rubber armor. Waterproof and fogproof, the Nikon Spotter XLII is available in black and in a Team Realtree configuration with Realtree Hardwoods Green HD camouflage. Both models are also offered in outfits – with compact tripods and deluxe carry cases. (emphasis added)

The Prostaff line are all Porro prism spotters that are turned 90* and mounted on their side (rather than straight up). It is an odd configuration that I do not like and that doesn't show clearly in the picture but, that is evident upon close inspection.

Besides ergonomics, the main difference between the Prostaff and the Sky and Earth is that the former is waterproof, fogproof while the latter is only weather resistant. The Sky and Earth has very good optics though, rather short eye relief. I like them better than the Prostaff models. The Sky and Earth series has been discontinued for some time so; if you can still find someone with them, you had best act quickly.

I took quite a few pictures of this Prostaff scope but didn't take any looking down from the "top" , it looks like a porro at that angle.
Regards,Steve

Sorry, I quoted what Google showed me, with dots, as the page (hunting!guns!) was blocked from me at work.

So there is only one roof prism one:
Nikon’s new 16-48x60 Spotter XL II is designed to provide exceptional optical capability, coupled with high light transmission and superior ruggedness. Nikon Spotter XL II spotting scope is a roof prism design, featuring a precisely aligned optical system with a built-in 16-48 power zoom range.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back