• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Asahi Camera Repairs problem - Weird... (1 Viewer)

mikfoz

It's not a competition. Watch the birdy!
Anyone had any experience with these guys? I sent my camera with a broken screen in for repair with them and I'm hoping they sort out what looks like a major cockup on their behalf OK and I can praise them up in this thread. Let's see what they do...

Basically the screen was bust; my fault for leaving it where one of my kids could knock it flying. So I sent it in for a screen fix and a spruce up. Simple enough. They then contacted me to tell me that they had attempted to fix the screen but the replacement screen was just going white but all functions on the camera were working. They said this was a main board problem and the impact had also messed up the connections to the screen. To replace both was more than the camera was worth. Would I like it repaired or returned with no charge.

At this point you just shrug and write the camera off. At least I could still use it like before as the screen not working is just like using a 35mm camera. Everything else worked; I just couldn't view pics until back at base or change settings via the menus. I could live with that.

Imagine my surprise when the camera returned home. There was an intact screen! Fair enough, I think, the other screen probably broke to pieces when they removed it. They'll just have lobbed in an old screen from their grab bag of broken cameras to plug the gap; it's what I'd have done. So I attach lens and switch it on. The screen fires up, working perfectly. Remember, this is the screen that was turning white and showing beyond economic repair...

So why so serious?

I then, rather excitedly, attempt to take a picture, crossing my fingers that the image processing will show on screen as well as the menus but with sinking feeling that it won't work and that's what they meant. First pressure on the button, no autofocus! The lens just zips to minimum distance and hunts a bit. I change lenses and... nothing. Same problem. Contacts are clean.

So I now have a camera with a working screen and no autofocus. Great! Not what I had in mind.

The guy who did the repair is out until Wednesday (tomorrow) so I have to wait until then to sort it out. What's going on? They broke my autofocus, because it was working before I sent it in. This is weird.

Hopefully others responding to this thread have had good experiences with this company and can set my mind at rest that this isn't going to turn nasty.

Hopefully I'll be able to say tomorrow I had a good experience and they are the kind of company that put their mistakes right and are superb to deal with, as I was sure they were before this happened; they've been totally professional and informative over the phone as far as I could tell.

Let's see what transpires.

So far so good, looks like I can send it back to them and they'll sort something out one way or another.

Let's see what happens next.

Well I just got my camera back with everything fixed and no invoice so I can't complain.

These guys clearly want to be well-thought of and put right any errors.

If your Pentax camera breaks, send it to them!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back