• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field volunteers wanted for bird radio tracking study in China (1 Viewer)

choimo

Field volunteers wanted for bird radio tracking study on Chongming Island, Shanghai, China.

I am a master student in the Fudan University, Shanghai. I will conduct radio tracking work on Dunlin (Calidris alpina) on Chongming Island from November 2006 to February 2007. The aim is to study the habitat preference of Dunlin in the Chongming Dongtan nature reserve. I would like to answer the question like: How does the tidal cycle affect Dunlins’ habitat preference. How does the movement of dunlins change with the time of the day?

Main duties include radio-tracking along the dyke once every two days, and survey in the mudflat (Occasional). There will also be bird catching and ringing work probably once a month. Free food, accommodation and transportation will be provided in Shanghai.

The winter in Shanghai may get down to zero degrees Celsius or even a few degrees below. Snowing may happen once or twice throughout the winter. The work can be tough in poor weather condition and the living condition is fairly simple and basic. Nonetheless, there are white storks and several cranes species that winter here, as well as hundred thousands of ducks. Wintering passerines such as the Reed parrotbill (Paradoxomis heudei), reed buntings and other Emberize sp etc in the reed beds. Therefore, it’s going to be a great opportunity for bird lover to watch birds and get involved in scientific research work.

Volunteers need to be enthusiastic, liable and enjoy field work, a biological background or knowledge on bird / radio tracking is a plus.

Please leave me a message if you are interested. Unfortunately, we can only afford to take volunteer who is willing to stay for at least a week or longer.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back