• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

fallow deer (1 Viewer)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
while driving near holbrook in suffolk yesterday down a small country lane near alton water reservoir i saw a large herd of what i think were fallow deer by large i mean well over 40 animals they didn't seem to be fenced in, in any way i have seen roe deer in this area and muntjac but i didn't realise there were fallow deer, does anyone know anything about them if they are common in this area or if they weren't fallow what else they could be

PaulE said:
while driving near holbrook in suffolk yesterday down a small country lane near alton water reservoir i saw a large herd of what i think were fallow deer by large i mean well over 40 animals they didn't seem to be fenced in, in any way i have seen roe deer in this area and muntjac but i didn't realise there were fallow deer, does anyone know anything about them if they are common in this area or if they weren't fallow what else they could be

Only Red and Fallow (both of which you have in Suffolk I believe) will really gather in herds, though Sika can sometimes gather in small groups, and Roe around the Salisbury Plain area have been seen in groups of up to fourteen individuals. I'd guess the animals you saw were Fallow Deer. Red Deer can be extremely secretive for such a huge animal, populations can live in an area with very few people knowing about them.

saluki

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back