• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bins with large eyepiece diameter? (1 Viewer)

smallblueplanet

I've been informed that I have to look for bins (8x40/2) with large eyepiece diameter. Apparently bins with small diam. give a tunnel-effect view to my specs-wearing partner.

Have seen that the Opticron DBA's have a diam. of 21.6mm, anyone recommend any others?

I read the good reviews on them on another thread - one to keep in mind....but (I know this is bad!!!) but I want to spend more money. :h?:

smallblueplanet said:
I read the good reviews on them on another thread - one to keep in mind....but (I know this is bad!!!) but I want to spend more money. :h?:

sorry but you've got to go and try them !!! Honest guv. Bit like hifi really

Ok if we must we must, Pete!
As you're also in Essex where would you go (don't mind a day-trip either though) to compare a good selection?

and just like with hi-fi I'm being seduced to spend more and more!!! :)

smallblueplanet said:
Ok if we must we must, Pete!
As you're also in Essex where would you go (don't mind a day-trip either though) to compare a good selection?

and just like with hi-fi I'm being seduced to spend more and more!!! :)

ah yeah right - that is the problem isn't it!! You could go to to Minsmere to the RSPB shop. Don't think the EWT have a large variety at Hanningfield. You could try one of the in-focus shops either London Colney or WWT Barnes.

I can't get on with wearing specs with any optics, so I take 'em off - it's a pain, but is much more comfortable for me.

If you want to spend more, try other Nikons, Zeiss, Swaro or Leica - they all cost lots! I have a pair of Swaro 8.5ELs but my brother's new Nikon 8x42HGs are truly a fine binocular.

Last edited:
If you dont mind spending the money also look at the Leica Ultravids.Optically there is very little difference between any of the top makes but you do need to try them all to see which suits you best eg size, weight,how they feel.

smallblueplanet said:
I've been informed that I have to look for bins (8x40/2) with large eyepiece diameter. Apparently bins with small diam. give a tunnel-effect view to my specs-wearing partner.

Have seen that the Opticron DBA's have a diam. of 21.6mm, anyone recommend any others?

My understanding is that you need to look at the field of view and the eye relief.

A narrow field of view equates to a tunnel effect. For an 8x binocular a decent field of view is ~120m at 1km or ~360ft at 1000 yards or greater.

The eye relief is a measure of how close to the eyepiece you need to place your eye in order to see all of the field. Too small an eye relief and you will indeed see a tunnel effect. People with eyeglasses need a larger eye relief than others because there needs to be room for the lens to sit between the eye and the eyepiece. It is often said that at least 15mm of eye relief is need for an eyeglass wearer. However, the actual eye relief is often less than the stated value, and people differ in the shape of their eyes, and the size of their eyeglasses.

So the summary of the above waffle is: try before you buy!

Definitely good advice - people's eyes are seated at differing distances from their glasses and this makes a heck of a difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back