• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bienvenue 'chez Nick' (1 Viewer)

I'm glad the eagle is identifiable from the picture - I didn't want to fuss too much on it and was worried that it may look like an egyptian vulture or a white stork!

more sketches - Little Ringed and Kentish Plovers and a Stone Curlew

Attachments

• mallorca sketches 006.jpg
    mallorca sketches 006.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 73
  • mallorca sketches 032.jpg
    mallorca sketches 032.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 57
  • mallorca sketches 039.jpg
    mallorca sketches 039.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 56
  • mallorca sketches 028.jpg
    mallorca sketches 028.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 51
  • mallorca sketches 033.jpg
    mallorca sketches 033.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 52
Never seen a Stone Curlew but whenever I've seen them in guides they've always struck me as just odd. That last sketch seems to fit my impression of them perfectly. And then of course there's that wonderful second sketch!

slowly getting through the paintings from the holiday - looks like I'll have plenty of time this weekend - the weather is too hot and nice to bother going birding, so will have a weekend in the studio with beer and brushes.

Balearic warbler - I can see another version of this in my mind.
Self portrait and Audouin's Gull
Everything in the sky except Lucy with Diamonds
Two very different versions of the same curlew sandpipers

Attachments

• paintingsmall 001.jpg
    paintingsmall 001.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 71
  • paintingsmall 006.jpg
    paintingsmall 006.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 75
  • paintingsmall 005.jpg
    paintingsmall 005.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 88
  • paintingsmall 004.jpg
    paintingsmall 004.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 84
  • paintingsmall 003.jpg
    paintingsmall 003.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 87
Hi Nick,

Fantastic batch this. Blue seems to be your colour at the moment, with plenty of complementery pinks and purples. Raptors are my fav I think, the brooding Black Vulture dominates the sky briliantly. Curlew Sands are top class too Nick.
Nice to see your capped silhoette still there in the Audoins piece, love work that remains true to observation and this certainly ticks all those boxes....

Hi Nick,

Fantastic batch this. Blue seems to be your colour at the moment, with plenty of complementery pinks and purples. Raptors are my fav I think, the brooding Black Vulture dominates the sky briliantly. Curlew Sands are top class too Nick.
Nice to see your capped silhoette still there in the Audoins piece, love work that remains true to observation and this certainly ticks all those boxes....

Skipped comments earlier today because I wanted to get out before it was just too hot to be out. But Alan beat me to my first thought: Blue seems to be your color. And have to agree again about work that remains true to experience, even if that is just your hatted shadow. When I was in art school I never understood why some had such a preference for working from experience. Now it makes perfect sense to me. It always seems to add something extra.

For my favorite I have to go with number four!What a beauty.

. . . been watching these appear and trying to find words. Still, none come. Amazing. Always; but especially these from the recent jaunt. Amazing . . . .

I have to agree with Tim, Amazing... I really like the vibrant colors, and how the images seems to be taken straight from the moment you were there yourself!

I have to agree with Tim, Amazing... I really like the vibrant colors, and how the images seems to be taken straight from the moment you were there yourself!

what pleasure

it's been an unfurling spring all in itself this thread, watching Lucian Freud browns of late April turn to blue Med in late May

WOW what I always love about your work Nick is that it never stands still. It continues to move forward as you explore new techniques and new ways of using colour. The sandpiper painting to the right really made me smile. Abstract, full of colour and at the same time totally believeable. I didnt think that the close up of the tree trunk worked in the painting next to it as it detracts too much from those gloriously painted birds underneath. If I could paint birds, this is just how I would paint them. Very exciting. More please!!

It seems that you are going through one of the most creative and inspired periods of your life Nick!
It`s not just the technical virtuosity, but it is the unusual approach to your subject which attract the viewer most..

Paschalis

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back