• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in The Algarve (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
I have just booked a flight to Faro for the 1st week in April. Any advice on top birding spots that are accessible by public transport would be gratefully received, plus any suggestuions for cheap hostels etc. I have spent plenty of time birding northern Portugal (Lisbon, Alcochete, Peniche, Berlengas Islands, Oporto district) but this is my fiorst sojourn south.
Thanks in advance to all who make suggestions
Cheers,
Jono

You could do very well to base yourself in Lagos or maybe Sagres. If you were based with economic accommodation, like Faro or Albufeira, you would have problems with various kms walk, taxi fares or complicated bus routes that wouldn't get you right to the good wetlands anyway.

From Lagos there are regular bus services that will get you to lots of nice species and you could hop on the train a couple of stops to Mexiloheira Grande where you can have a nice 2-3kms walk around Ria de Alvor and its environs. Also, going inland a few kms on local buses you can get to some nice Cork Oak habitats for most of the woodland and scrubland species down here. Sagres is easy to get to for a day out also and is a must in the springtime. Walking distance from Lagos you have Paul de Lagos, a nice little wetland and cliff habitats for Blue Rock Thrush and Pallid and Alpine Swifts and some nice seawatching etc.

In Lagos there are a number of cheap pensions from about 20Euros a night, especially if you don't mind a little noise from the local nightlife (quite mediocre in April though!). You wouldn't really need to book in April and could easily go on spec. From the airport you can get a little bus to the train station and get to Lagos for about 5 Euros.

Cheers
Simon
http://algarvebirdman.com/

PS: I looked at your blog and see you are interested in butterflies - Lagos county is among the most biodiverse in Portugal - its a small county (212sq kms) I have recorded over 70 spp in this county - see the butterflies page on my website

Last edited:
I would suggest putting in a search for accommodation in or around Faro, it would certainly increase your chances of buses and trains to various good birding spots eg The Rio Formosa Reserve at Olhao to the east and Faro marshes/Quinta do Lago to the west, both only a few Kms from Faro. It should also be fairly easy to get to Tavira from here, where a good day can be spent around the saltpans of Tavira/Santa Luzia and the more agricultural area of Pedras D'el Rei, these sites alone should produce a good variety of birds.

Get back to me if you want more specific information on sites etc.

Cheers

John

I would suggest putting in a search for accommodation in or around Faro, it would certainly increase your chances of buses and trains to various good birding spots eg The Rio Formosa Reserve at Olhao to the east and Faro marshes/Quinta do Lago to the west, both only a few Kms from Faro. It should also be fairly easy to get to Tavira from here, where a good day can be spent around the saltpans of Tavira/Santa Luzia and the more agricultural area of Pedras D'el Rei, these sites alone should produce a good variety of birds.

Get back to me if you want more specific information on sites etc.

Cheers

John

That's true to an extent John, especially for waterbirds, However in April, a range of perhaps more interesting breeding species realistic near Lagos, for someone from northern Europe that would be very unrealistic around coastal eastern Algarve would include:

Short-toed and Bonelli's Eagles
Alpine Swift
Rock Bunting
Blue Rock Thrush
Southern Grey Shrike (a lot easier than in the east)
Melodious Warbler (a lot easier than in the east)
Dartford and Spectacled Warbler
Iberian Chiffchaff
Golden Oriole

Of course Red-necked Nightjars, Woodchat Shrikes, Bee-eaters, Az-w magpies and Hoopoes are everywhere.

Apart from a few like Audouin's Gull, Flamingo and Collared Pratincole the waterbirds in the west are broadly similar and, like in the east include many species seen easily in northern Europe.

The centre of Faro is pretty depressing and if you stay on the outskirts public transport would be a nightmare. Furthermore it is not on the coast - often a nasty surprise for unsuspecting holidaymakers - ditto much of Albufeira). Getting to Quinta do Lago would be a real hassle, although some of the Ria Formosa - namely Praia de Faro is quite easy (few major species for a visitor here though).

Lagos is a lovely town right on the shore with some nice habitats birding on its doorstep and its easy to get around on public transport. The bus and train station would always be easy walking distance. Sagres, a short bus ride away is wild and beautiful and the habitats inland close to Lagos are excellent too.

The Baixo Alentejo is definitely the most interesting area for visitors and one could stay in Castro Verde (no cheaper than 40Euros/night) but public transport is terrible into the best birding although within 5 kms of the town most of the steppe birds can be found. A nice couple of days within walking distance of Castro Verde would be very rewarding.

I put the link to my website for Jono - not for trying to get business - but just for information on the birdlife here - although, I would be prepared to meet up with him and give him some local tips over a coffee - just for the fun of it!

If time permits a combination of west and east should build the bigger list...

Cheers

Simon

Last edited:
Morning all,
Thanks for the tips. I am arriving near to midnight so shall find a place near the airport to stay and then start wandering the following morning. Rio Formosa looks fun around Tavira but I do plan on getting to Sagres, if only because a beer is named after the place. I am travelling early April, so if you fancy a beer/coffee etc Simon, be happy to meet for a chat. Shall contact you nearer departure.
best regards,
Jono

(That's true to an extent John, especially for waterbirds, However in April, a range of perhaps more interesting breeding species realistic near Lagos, for someone from northern Europe that would be very unrealistic around coastal eastern Algarve would include:)

Dunno about Jono but you've sold me Simon :-O

Morning all,
Thanks for the tips. I am arriving near to midnight so shall find a place near the airport to stay and then start wandering the following morning. Rio Formosa looks fun around Tavira but I do plan on getting to Sagres, if only because a beer is named after the place. I am travelling early April, so if you fancy a beer/coffee etc Simon, be happy to meet for a chat. Shall contact you nearer departure.
best regards,
Jono

Jono,

If you're near the airport Quinta do Lago is not far at all, just take the road to Praia de Faro and when you get to the first saltpan on your right take the track on your right, you can walk through Ludo saltpans into the Quinta do Lago area, birding all the way.

Good luck

John

(That's true to an extent John, especially for waterbirds, However in April, a range of perhaps more interesting breeding species realistic near Lagos, for someone from northern Europe that would be very unrealistic around coastal eastern Algarve would include:)

Dunno about Jono but you've sold me Simon :-O

Cheers for taking the time to try and decipher my awful "sentence"!

Late nighter and too zealous for words.....:eat:

Be good to see you when you are here

Simon

Morning all,
best regards,
Jono

Sagres is great! So I assume they are all on you B :)

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,
lots of useful advice there. Some friends of mine have bought an apartment in Lagos and we are flying out on Friday for a long weekend with them whilst they complete on the deal and celebrate their wedding anniversary. I won't get time for any proper birding but hope to sneak of for a couple of mornings out and about. I'm not sure where their apartment is but they are staying in the Hotel Tivoli, Crisogono Santos? Any advice as to a walk or two around here or a local bus service that might take me out and about close to this area. Hope to spend more time in and around Lagos over the next few years so will hopefully meet up at some time for a guided tour. John

You could jump on a train to Mexilhoeira Grande and do the circular walk round the Odiaxere and Alvor estuaries, this is a pleasant stroll which would take 3 to 4 hours without rushing. I've seen lingering Caspian Tern and Crag Martin there in early April. Or get a bus west to Sagres or Cape St Vincent.
Cheers.

Hi All,
Thanks for all the helpful tips. Ended up in Tavira, due to time (only 2.5 days birding) and had a superb time. Good food, good beer, great architecture and of course, wonderful birds. Photos of some can be viewed on my blog, address below.
Jono

Currently sat in the hotel lobbby about to set out on this mornings walk.

Yesterday I walked out and back from the hotel (tivoli) out to the spectacularly eroded sandstone point to west side of lagos. Great morning out with 3 Azure winged magpies sat amongst 4 bee-eaters the colourful highlight. There were hundreds of Gannets moving west offshore as well as two balearic? shears (long way out), commic and Sandwich tern, cormarant and two little egrets .Lots of Spotless starling on the stacks as well. On the land Zitting Cisticolas, Sardinian warbler, Hoopoe, a fly past Pied flycatcher and crested larks with loads of cattle egrets, 3 Sacred Ibis, a common sandpiper on the estuary. Always enough to keep interest up including a sighting of a Fox.

Later
This mornings walk not as succesful as yesterdays. Coming out of the hotel a loose flock of 15+ cattle egret went over then two medium sized dark birds that I couldn't get onto due to buildings getting in the way. Closest I could guess would have been two glossy Ibis but on those views couldn't be anything like sure.
Walked up the estuary until leaving lagos then turned down to the beach and back along to Lagos. Little egrets on the estuary with two common sands and a single greenshank. A hoopoe flew across the road and there were sightings of a couple of Serin. Lots of Gannets close inshore ( SE gale blowing) with two sightings of distant big shears. With the wind blowing the sand flying and only bins to look through further attempts at seawatching abandoned. The most intereesting sighting of the morning a dead pilot whale on the beach. It was well battered and scarred. There was a inflated baloon effect ( membrane\skin) coming out of its mouth. Any one care to explain what this was?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back