• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (4 Viewers)

Not much to report since last Friday, 3 Cetti's Warbler were singing on the Dosthill side of the reserve, 33 Shoveler were on the new reedbed pit on the 27th and a Muntjac was seen on the track by the feeding station.
The drake Pintail reappeared on the north pit on the 28th and 3 Curlew flew in. A Ruff was reported but JF and I only saw 2 Redshank and 2 Ringed Plover.
Today a Ruff was again reported but could have been disturbed by a work party who were clearing some islands on the north pit, the 2 Redshank, 3 Oystercatcher and a Ringed Plover were still there however.
The year list stands at 101 species.
Geoff

It was good to see an Avocet on the north pit this afternoon (thanks Tom for the text) I watched it distantly from the top of the Dosthill bund hills, but it was too distant to see the reported Dunlin, Green Sandpiper and 3 Ringed Plover.
A total of 8 Buzzard were around and 2 Snipe could be seen on the new reedbed pool. A Stonechat was again reported by Steve C.
Geoff

Hi Geoff, I`d just like to thankyou for posting the sightings on here. Just because there is not alot of respose it doesn`t mean we aren`t reading. It`s a great reserve & we look forward to visiting again soon.

Hi Geoff, I`d just like to thankyou for posting the sightings on here. Just because there is not alot of respose it doesn`t mean we aren`t reading. It`s a great reserve & we look forward to visiting again soon.
Hi Pam, Thanks for your kind comments, it's nice to know my efforts are appreciated. I do hope others will contribute to this thread, especially as soon I will be in Lincs. more often and it would be good to hear what is about while I'm away.
Geoff

No sign of the Avocet this afternoon but 2 Ringed Plover, 2 Dunlin, 2 Redshank and a Green Sandpiper were on the north pit with 2 Little Egret.
Geoff

No sign of the Avocet this afternoon but 2 Ringed Plover, 2 Dunlin, 2 Redshank and a Green Sandpiper were on the north pit with 2 Little Egret.
Geoff

They've come back to Upton mate:t:
Yes as Pam has alluded to, I look forward to reading your sightings. Oh and Pam is one of ours at Upton 8-P, not only nicking our birds but our birders:-O:-O
B :)John

They've come back to Upton mate:t:
Yes as Pam has alluded to, I look forward to reading your sightings. Oh and Pam is one of ours at Upton 8-P, not only nicking our birds but our birders:-O:-O
Hi John,Won't the Avocets be leaving again on Sunday when the work party starts?
I didn't expect the Avocet to stay long as we haven't got a wader scrape yet, and if any waders do nest on the north pit most will be flooded out sometime.
As JH has said on another thread, we should be getting a form of water level control later this year, which should make a difference.
Geoff

Hi John,Won't the Avocets be leaving again on Sunday when the work party starts?
I didn't expect the Avocet to stay long as we haven't got a wader scrape yet, and if any waders do nest on the north pit most will be flooded out sometime.
As JH has said on another thread, we should be getting a form of water level control later this year, which should make a difference.
Geoff
Hi Geoff
They will move on to the moors until we finish, although sometimes they come back while we are still working. Hope they do get the sluice sorted for you.

Last edited:
There was a good selection of birds on the north pit today i.e 2 Little Egret, 1 drake Pintail, 15 Shelduck, 2 Oystercatcher, 1 Ringed Plover, 21 Golden Plover, 2 Dunlin, 1 Redshank and a Green Sandpiper.
Two more Oystercatcher were on Fishers Mill Pool and a flock of 50 ca. Linnet were still around.
A Treecreeper and a Nuthatch were by Mill Plantation.
Geoff

It appears that the reserve has been quiet this week with no reports received. At least Linconshire was OK with 3 Glossy Ibis, 1 Red-throated Diver and 5 species of geese seen by me.
This morning at Midd Lakes there was a WeBS count on and I joined them briefly. 3 Oystercatcher were chasing from one pool to another. 3 Ringed Plover, 2 Lapwing and a Redshank were on the north pit. A total of 9 Snipe and 4 Jack Snipe were noted around the reserve. A Raven flew over calling and 2 Yellowhammer were singing.
Geoff

A Black-tailed Godwit was feeding on the north pit this morning but flew out south at 11:30, the 103rd species for the year. I see it was also reported for yesterday. 2 Dunlin were new in, otherwise it was just the resident waders. Other birds included 1 Goosander, 1 Water Rail and 2 Redwing.
Yesterday I checked out the Dosthill side of the reserve and saw my first Small Tortoiseshell butterfly of the year, 3 Grass Snake were sunbathing, 2 Kingfisher were along the river and a small flock of Redpoll and Siskin were in the Alders.
Geoff

A late afternoon visit for me, 4 Redshank were on the north pit, a Short-eared Owl was hunting the middle section then flew across the river.
At the heronry at least 21 Little Egret came in to roost by 6:30pm and 6 Fieldfare flew by.
Geoff

16/3. A Marsh Harrier was reported at Kingsbury Water Park but wasn't picked up at Midd Lakes unforunately. A Brambling was again reported by Mill Plantation.
17/3. 3 Ringed Plover, 1 Dunlin and 3 Redshank were on north pit. 1 female Blackcap was seen by C.Cook and a Chiffchaff was singing.
Today a miserable cold rainy start soon brightened up weatherwise and birdwise with 3 male Wheatear and a Little Ringed Plover on the north pit, but best of all was a drake Garganey on Hall Lake.
The yearlist now stands at 107 species.
Geoff

Garganey

16/3. A Marsh Harrier was reported at Kingsbury Water Park but wasn't picked up at Midd Lakes unforunately. A Brambling was again reported by Mill Plantation.
17/3. 3 Ringed Plover, 1 Dunlin and 3 Redshank were on north pit. 1 female Blackcap was seen by C.Cook and a Chiffchaff was singing.
Today a miserable cold rainy start soon brightened up weatherwise and birdwise with 3 male Wheatear and a Little Ringed Plover on the north pit, but best of all was a drake Garganey on Hall Lake.
The yearlist now stands at 107 species.
Geoff

Nice pictures of the drake Garganey which was still present today link from the Warwickshire Middleton lakes thread. John

Afternoon visit and it felt more like August than March in the warm sun although a redhead Smew on the north pit was more seasonal though still a surprise. Also on the north pit was a Little Ringed Plover with the regular waders and 2 Red-legged Partidge were in the adjacent field (also seen on the 23rd).
2 Green Sandpiper were on the hall lake now a bit of mud is showing.
Brimstone, Peacock, Comma, Small Tortoiseshell and Orange Tip were seen on the reserve.
Geoff

Hi folks, a lovely day at Middleton Hall today. We saw our first Wheatears of the year o:D Lots of Orange Tips & Small Tortoiseshells around. The Blue bells were out as well :eek!:and the Ramsons smelt strong on the walk back in the afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back