• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ythan King Eider info? (1 Viewer)

Mustang Birder

Jersey
Hi Guys
I will be in Aberdeen sometime during the second week of June and was hoping to catch up with your long staying King Eider on the Ythan.
I have a couple of questions if anyone can help?
Is there any reliable sites to see it from?
and also good spots to get some nice photos from?
Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

When visiting there I watched from NK 00385 24556, looking across the river to the beach on the other side where all were roosting (eiders and king eider). King eider was sleeping almost the entire time, only once or twice lifting his head. Still stunning!

EDIT: Incredible views of the seals from there as well, looking downriver toward the sea.

I've only ever seen King Eiders on the Ythan on the stretch downstream of the road bridge. That's where the bulk of the Common Eiders will be and you'll need to look through them to find 'Elvis'. The best viewing points are either from the end of Inches Road in Newburgh village or around the mouth of the Ythan, reached from the beach car park in Newburgh. Sometimes it's easy to see, sometimes it's surprisingly hard particularly if it's sleeping when it's much less obvious.

If visiting,It Is best to watch from the Newburgh side of the River Ythan.If you follow the track along the river from the north,you shall only get so far along,as restrictions (fencing) stop you from going anywhere near the Tern and Seal colonies.I have often seen Elvis,by taking the Golf Course road (on entering Newburgh from the south) and then walking down to the mouth of the river.This also allows superb views of the Seals and perhaps Elvis,without disturbing them.

Per RBA King Eider showing well opposite the green tin hut (i.e. access from the beach car park along golf course road) yesterday at 1030.

John

The male King Eider was still on the Ythan yesterday.I watched him from just down water of the Tin Hut at the back end of the Golf Course.A fishing Osprey was also In the area.A Common Buzzard flew low over the Tern nesting area,sending hundreds of Tern's Into a frenzy.

Thanks for all the replies and information guys :)
Annoyingly my trip keeps getting pushed back by work and it doesn't look like ill get there now till late July :(
I've got my fingers crossed he'll still be around.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back