• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera trap delights (1 Viewer)

turkish van

Number 1 celebrity badger
Hello and welcome!! To all owners of camera traps, those who lust after them, and those with a passing interest. And others.

This thread open to all people who use camera traps, the idea being we post stills or videos (is there a way to do that on bf?) of as many different species as we have. Only recently having aquired my beloved Bushnell camera, so far I can only rustle up a measly eight (fox, rabbit, grey squirrel, wood mouse, wren, magpie, carrion crow, woodlouse(!!)). I also have domestic cat and dog, but those are disallowed... wild creatures only please. No wolves jumping over fences.

Many will know that camera traps can produce 'variable' results, so a running 'spot the animal' type feature will provide some light entertainment. Please feel free to contribute to this, I'm quite sure there will be plenty of fodder!

I will kick us off with the Red Fox Vulpes vulpes - if anyone has a better shot please go ahead. This was maybe 10 metres away from the camera.

Now dazzle me with your snow leopards, pine martens, beavers etc......

PS they don't have to be mammals or sea life, all creatures welcome, it just seemed the most appropriate forum.

Attachments

• fox bf.jpg
    fox bf.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 536
Hello and welcome!! To all owners of camera traps, those who lust after them, and those with a passing interest. And others.

This thread open to all people who use camera traps, the idea being we post stills or videos (is there a way to do that on bf?) of as many different species as we have. Only recently having aquired my beloved Bushnell camera, so far I can only rustle up a measly eight (fox, rabbit, grey squirrel, wood mouse, wren, magpie, carrion crow, woodlouse(!!)). I also have domestic cat and dog, but those are disallowed... wild creatures only please. No wolves jumping over fences.

Many will know that camera traps can produce 'variable' results, so a running 'spot the animal' type feature will provide some light entertainment. Please feel free to contribute to this, I'm quite sure there will be plenty of fodder!

I will kick us off with the Red Fox Vulpes vulpes - if anyone has a better shot please go ahead. This was maybe 10 metres away from the camera.

Now dazzle me with your snow leopards, pine martens, beavers etc......

PS they don't have to be mammals or sea life, all creatures welcome, it just seemed the most appropriate forum.

Brilliant, this should be fun. I like the idea of "spot the animal", I often spend ages looking for what has set the camera off :-O.

The very first wildlife I captured was quite boring, crows, but the interaction was interesting. I mostly take stills rather than video, probably because I'm so computer illiterate :gh:.

I'm not sure how many species I've got so far but I will try and add them up later... not that it's very many!

Two Crow pics.

Attachments

• Crow 1.JPG
    Crow 1.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 335
  • Crow 2.JPG
    Crow 2.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 265
Right folks, it's time for the first...

Spot the Creature Feature!

Position and species, please :)

PS lurkers join in!

Attachments

• stcf 1 bf .jpg
    stcf 1 bf .jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 633
Brilliant, this should be fun. I like the idea of "spot the animal", I often spend ages looking for what has set the camera off :-O.

The very first wildlife I captured was quite boring, crows, but the interaction was interesting. I mostly take stills rather than video, probably because I'm so computer illiterate :gh:.

I'm not sure how many species I've got so far but I will try and add them up later... not that it's very many!

Two Crow pics.

Nice pics, they look really sharp, what camera do you have?

Always interesting to watch them go about their normal business!

Yes well done. It has literally only just occurred to me that I wrote down all the animals I have footage of!

Here he was a couple seconds earlier

My first guess of a fox brush was genuine but I have to admit that I took the most likely species from your list for my second guess ;). In all honesty I couldn't really tell what it was lol.

I'll try you with one of mine. I don't know what it is although I have a couple of ideas. Makes it tricky because it is so close to the camera that size is difficult to judge.

I'll put in a series of three photos which do show that a bit of fieldcraft does help in placing the camera. I'd found an area where I could see that a deer had been lying down. It would have been better if I'd had it on video but I was still pleased with what I got.

Attachments

• Unknown.JPG
    Unknown.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 491
  • Deer 1.JPG
    Deer 1.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 387
  • Deer 2.JPG
    Deer 2.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 324
  • Deer 3.JPG
    Deer 3.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 366
Assuming you are up north somewhere, I guess pine marten?

Ooops, yes I am up north. Inland Moray.

I thought possibly pine marten but also wondered if being so close to the camera had distorted the size and it was a stoat. The more I look at it the more I think it must be a pine marten. I've had reasonable photos of both in the area.

Ooops, yes I am up north. Inland Moray.

I thought possibly pine marten but also wondered if being so close to the camera had distorted the size and it was a stoat. The more I look at it the more I think it must be a pine marten. I've had reasonable photos of both in the area.

Left ear looks pointy, Stoat ears are rounded. I'd say Pine Marten.

John

My first guess of a fox brush was genuine but I have to admit that I took the most likely species from your list for my second guess ;). In all honesty I couldn't really tell what it was lol.

I'll try you with one of mine. I don't know what it is although I have a couple of ideas. Makes it tricky because it is so close to the camera that size is difficult to judge.

I'll put in a series of three photos which do show that a bit of fieldcraft does help in placing the camera. I'd found an area where I could see that a deer had been lying down. It would have been better if I'd had it on video but I was still pleased with what I got.

They are some great pictures. I really want to get a camera trap, I was just wondering which model you have. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back