• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First time in New York (1 Viewer)

Pitta Patter

I'm going to be in NYC in just over a weeks time for 7 days. It's my first time on the east coast really but I have done quite a bit of US birding in the past. Essentially its a family trip but I'm hoping to do a little birding. I'm staying at the south end of Central Park. I'm wondering how long a walk it is to the ramble from there? What birds generally to expect this time of year in Central Park? Any suggestions for any other places to visit? (I will be reliant on public transport) Whether the Shorebird Festival at JB is worth trying to get along to? Any tips for places around Statten Island?

My main targets are American Black Duck, American Woodcock, Upland Sand, Eastern Screech Owl, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Red Headed and Red Bellied Woodpecker, Blue Jay, Northern Cardinal, Warblers, Vireos, Tufted Titmouse, Eastern Phoebe, Eastern Wood Peewee, Northern Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher, Eastern Towhee, Common Grackles, Orioles etc

Kevin

I'm staying at the south end of Central Park. I'm wondering how long a walk it is to the ramble from there? What birds generally to expect this time of year in Central Park?

Any suggestions for any other places to visit? (I will be reliant on public transport)

From south end to the ramble is only about 15 minutes at an easy pace, if my memory serves me well.

Jamaica Bay is accessible by public transport (subway, then a 15-20 minute walk), and I suppose reasonable numbers of waders should be returning by now.

Kev......if you're going to NY for only a week there's NO WAY you're gonna be able to fit in any birding around your shopping.....it was hard enough to drag you away in Madagascar!!! ;)

Actually Kev, I'd leave the optics at home - just think how much space they take up?? How many more products/shoes/make-up could you then can buy......I can picture you now doing the sums in your head! ;)

Hello,

There is really no problem shopping and bird watching. Bird watching in Central Park is best before 9 AM and the better stores open, even later. If Kevin buys a weekly Metro card, he can take the buses and the tube, almost at will.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Hi Kevin,
Welcome to NYC!
As Jos says, the Ramble is just a few minutes walk from CPS, with easy entries just north of 72nd St. The normal routine is a coffee at the Boat House before/after birding the Ramble, to update their somewhat sloppy record book that lists recent sightings.
The expected birds, by NYC area location, are here: http://nycbirdreport.com/index.html
Check EbirdsNYC ( a Yahoo group, free registration, just sacrifice your privacy) for current updates here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebirdsnyc/
Also NYC Audubon here: http://www.nycaudubon.org/home/ has walks and trips.

I think that your first 6 will be iffy, the rest should be at least likely. Titmice and Towhees are not yet back in numbers, but maybe a few outriders if you are lucky.
Jamaica Bay is good, shorebirds are near peak, but it is a day trip by public transportation from CPS or an expensive (about $75) cab ride.
Do note the northern part of the Park, the Loch, Ravine and North Woods are probably as rich as the Ramble, but much less visited.
Good luck!

PS The high end shopping is on Madison Ave, 60th to 79th St. Tourists have just taken over 5th Ave, so now it is dominated by the big global chains.

Thank you Jos, Arthur and etudiant for your helpful comments. Great trip report Jos. Contrary to popular belief I'm not really that into shopping.

Kevin

Kevin,

Here's a link to an eBird bar chart for Central Park locations for August and September. It will give you a good idea of what birders see there at the time you will be going. You can even limit it to specific locations such as the Ramble.

http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?src=changeDate&getLocations=hotspots&hotspots=L89%2CL191106%2CL826628%2CL1148924%2CL1089061%2CL278130%2CL1927866%2CL787060%2CL1796832%2CL559908%2CL593577%2CL278127%2CL719748%2CL794140%2CL191107%2CL1673419%2CL1153696%2CL787059%2CL1150654%2CL698380%2CL1796855%2CL1544161%2CL1480317%2CL765570%2CL318103%2CL109518%2CL277988%2CL1797864%2CL1180204&parentState=US-NY&reportType=location&monthRadio=on&bMonth=08&eMonth=09&bYear=1980&eYear=2013&continue.x=22&continue.y=10

Click on the map link next to a species name, and then on the individual sighting balloons for more info about sightings.

You'll be coming at the beginning of fall landbird migration, so you could run into a variety of migrants.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Thank you Jos, Arthur and etudiant for your helpful comments. Great trip report Jos. Contrary to popular belief I'm not really that into shopping.

Kevin

Kevin,

When you drive down the FDR along the East River, you will see an ad:
"New Yorkers, tolerant of your beliefs, judgmental about your shoes."
This is correct.
Shopping is one of the city's major pastimes. Indeed, the local proverb is :
"When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping."
Shopping is therapeutic and sharpens your spotting skills. So it is really training for your birding visits.
Plus it stimulates the NYC economy. ;)
So do not let puritan holdovers steer you wrong.

Last edited:
Hello Kevin,

In case you have not yet downloaded a map, there is one here. The dotted lines are know as "transverses," generally sunken roads, for automobiles. Although they have footpaths, they cannot be accessed from within the Park. The Drive is a heavy green line, with limited use for automobiles. Beware that the cyclists on the Drive, and throughout the city, are lawless, and rarely stop for traffic lights.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all those that kindly provided information. I had a great time. I spent 5 consecutive mornings in Central Park. Highlights being both black billed and yellow billed cuckoo within a 5 minute period near the Ramble shed one morning. The day before I had Blue-winged, northern parula, prairie and black throated green warblers all in a small bush at once with a ruby throated hummer zipping around the top. I made it over to Jamaica Bay bird festival as well and was warmly welcomed by the group. I picked up black duck, mockingbirds and 1 Baltimore oriole. All in all I got 70+ species, 33 of which were new to the USA for me and about 15 global ticks. Didn't see any towhees or titmice and had to wait to the last morning to see red bellied woodpecker when I ventured into the north woods. Kevin

Sounds good mate....and still the rest of the day left to hit the shops!! Come on, how many bags did you come back with?? ;)

Sounds good mate....and still the rest of the day left to hit the shops!! Come on, how many bags did you come back with?? ;)

I knew that was coming. Actually I just bought a couple of pairs of shoes and a couple of small souvenirs, so didn't personally contribute much to the local economy. The rest of the time was spent sight seeing. I lost a morning birding getting dragged off trying to find one direction!

I know its a bit late now but I was in New York from 27th aug - 1st sep. had a few hours in Central Park and a full write up is on my blog if you have a few minutes to spare.

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back