• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New firmware for E-M1 & E-M5II (1 Viewer)

opticoholic

Big new firmware update coming for the E-M1. Read about it here:

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2015b/nr150915omde.jsp

Several new features are potentially helpful to bird photographers. I'm especially happy that they are adding an electronic shutter mode and enhanced focus peaking. Both of those could help with digiscoping. The other very interesting feature is focus bracketing. I don't know if it will work on the fine scale needed for bird photography, but perhaps someday we can more easily get a quick series of shots that could be blended in post processing to get the whole bird in focus...

I'm very impressed with how Olympus has given me several significant firmware updates. Sometimes the new features aren't that important to me but at least they are developing the new features and rolling them out to older models. Nikon in contrast gives me almost nothing except bug fixes and support for new lenses, etc.

Olympus is the cool hip Mac guy in the commercial while Nikon is the clueless dorky PC guy... I'm only half kidding... I look at the guys in this picture and I wonder if any of these idiots use Nikon cameras or know a damn thing about photography...

Dave

One question: Is it today possible to set a very small focus area and have that retained for the next time you turn off and back on the camera? I read that initially, the focus area returned to medium size each time the camera was turned off.

Niels

One question: Is it today possible to set a very small focus area and have that retained for the next time you turn off and back on the camera? I read that initially, the focus area returned to medium size each time the camera was turned off.

Niels
Yes, mine is set to small all the time.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back