• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Downloading Apps (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I have a new PAYG smart phone and am thinking of entering the scary world of downloading some Apps onto it, one of which will be the Collins one.

However, a few years ago I had a similar type of phone (but never used it for internet stuff) when suddenly the screen went black and the phone was dead. It couldn't be recovered, and as there was no contract that was that.

My question really revolves round that issue. If I download such an App and the same thing happens to this phone, would I be able to restore the App on a new phone without having to pay again? If you understand what I mean.

BTW I'd download it at home, so I can use the free WIFI!

How easy is that App to download? I'm scared to even start LOL

For people to give you some idea of how apps are purchased an installed you'll have to tell us which operating system your phone uses, Delia. I assume it's an Android phone? I have no personal experience with those, but if you confirm I'm sure somebody will be able to give you some advice.

Andrea

Hi Andrea

Thanks very much. I'm such a newbie at this.... I was told not to get an iPhone;) (why I know not, so don't ask LOL), which means I got the 'other one', and I believe it is Android as you have guessed.

Possibly because iphones are more expensive than the cheaper Android phones (while some more expensive models probably are about the same).

As I got myself into the i-world, I cannot comment further on your initial question. (On an i-device, the answer would be yes, you can download again without paying again as long as you can remember the password to the app store).

Niels

In order to download Apps onto your Android phone you will need to have a Google Account, you may already have one if you have a Gmail account. All purchases made are tied to that account, if you lose your phone or it goes phutt, then when you set up your new phone (assuming it is Android) then if you use the same Google Account then you can simply install all the apps you previously paid for.

Ah! Right.

Thanks Mono, that is a bit of a relief.

Just need to pluck up the courage to do it now then LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back