• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Auto-ID of birds in photos—now for UK and Ireland (2 Viewers)

Yep, Brambling is correct! March this year, in Northumbs.

But I hope Pine Warbler wasn't its second choice??!

Very interesting. Why isn't Pine Warbler the second choice on the basis of the shape of the wingbars? The computer will analyse on features.

I 'assumed' like Fugl that it was a Chaffinch and only when Mark highlighted that the computer called it a Brambling did I revisit the photo. Anyone else prepared to admit that they did the same?

All the best

Surely if the scope is within the limited scope of regular UK species, it would be best to start feeding it photos of the species normally differentiated by comparatively subtle features to see how it handles those? Eg. Marsh/Willow Tit, Chiffchaff/Willow Warbler, Herring/Yellow Legged/Caspian Gulls, Crossbills?

Everything apart from xbills would be a good test, I think we are struggling with crossbills to reliably identify them to start with from photos so 'garbage in, garbage out' unless the images are vouchered with DNA and sonograms....

Anyone want to put it to the test? They don't have a huge number of images available for Europe, unlike North America where the program really excels. If more folks put images into eBird checklists over here...

Now I'm impressed.....

I'll have to look to see if I can find any other crap pics that I've not got round to deleting yet 3:)

Everything apart from xbills would be a good test, I think we are struggling with crossbills to reliably identify them to start with from photos so 'garbage in, garbage out' unless the images are vouchered with DNA and sonograms....
Scottish Crossbill is impossible even with DNA (not distinguishable from other European crossbills) and sonograms (Harvie-Brown neglected to get a sonogram of the one he shot in 1870 which became the type specimen of Loxia scotica, so its calls are unknown :eek!:)

I tried with warblers, good identifiable photos. It got right four out of five Chiffchaffs, but its first choice of the fifth was Willow Warbler. Of Willow Warblers, it similarly got right four out of five, the fifth it thought to be Marsh Warbler, and the correct answer was only the third choice.

It identified Icterine Warbler correctly, but had problem with Eurasian Reed - first of them it identified as Savi's Warbler and second Common Nightingale.

Quite impressive, I think.

Scottish Crossbill is impossible even with DNA
Yes it seems so.;)
The first choice of the attached photo, taken at Linn of Dee, Braemar, Scotland, was Common Crossbill and second was Scottish Crossbill.

Attachments

• Loxia_20090225_Linn_of_Dee_LH6D8670[1].jpg
    Loxia_20090225_Linn_of_Dee_LH6D8670[1].jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 126
It ... had problem with Eurasian Reed - first of them it identified as Savi's Warbler and second Common Nightingale.

Quite impressive, I think.

Worrying though if it did that in Britain as well as in Finland, identifying a common bird as a decidedly rare one. One feels that with artificial intelligence like this, it should be set with known mapped distributions to favour common over rare where it has any degree of uncertainty. Better to miss recording one or two genuine rarities, than get lots of false positives for rarities that aren't there.

Yes it seems so.;)
The first choice of the attached photo, taken at Linn of Dee, Braemar, Scotland, was Common Crossbill and second was Scottish Crossbill.

I'd be strongly tempted to call that one a Parrot Crossbill! What a massive neck and bill :t:

I am not sure if the answer really was Thrush Nightingale, and I mixed it in my mind - thinking British and Irish birds and feeding it a photo taken in Finland and in different languages one is common and other uncommon nightingale.

Downloaded the app. yesterday and it has correctly identified the photographs of birds I have taken - all common stuff but quite a few are a little obscured by branches/feeders, etc.
However, I downloaded a picture (fabulously clear) of a Wilson's Storm Petrel (completel with yellow webbing) and it didn't have a clue. Maybe an unfair test ?

Last edited:
Worrying though if it did that in Britain as well as in Finland, identifying a common bird as a decidedly rare one. One feels that with artificial intelligence like this, it should be set with known mapped distributions to favour common over rare where it has any degree of uncertainty. Better to miss recording one or two genuine rarities, than get lots of false positives for rarities that aren't there.

I'd be strongly tempted to call that one a Parrot Crossbill! What a massive neck and bill :t:

So it does tempter its decision-making if you tell it where you are.... you can either ID with zero date location info or enter date/location this means that if the difference isn't strong it will opt for the locally common species based on available eBird data....

However, when I played with this it was less likely to call difficult taxa like Wilson's Snipe vs Common Snipe correctly. It was erring on the side of caution despite apparently getting these species when not being told where it was...

AFAIK it won't know Parrotbill, Thrush Nightingale etc yet anyway as the Europe pack hasn't been released. Even when it does it still likely needs more pics to get really good... Likewise with Acros etc....

Downloaded the app. yesterday and it has correctly identified the photographs of birds I have taken - all common stuff but quite a few are a little obscured by branches/feeders, etc.
However, I downloaded a picture (fabulously clear) of a Wilson's Storm Petrel (completel with yellow webbing) and it didn't have a clue. Maybe an unfair test ?

which pic?

Presumably a reference to Cornell's worldwide royalty-free and perpetual license as well as the right to sublicense for research use.

Personally, I am totally relaxed about that.

I took photos 25 odd years ago and was always pleased on the odd occasion when they got an audience - Naumann's Thrush (British Birds), Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler (Vinnicombe & Cottridge) and Black-headed Bunting (Isles of Scilly Bird Report cover) together with a few occasions that people bought some through a friend.

After a 20 year gap, I have started again. If anyone looks at them through eBird or Cornell use them, then I'd be equally happy. Subject to Merlin re-identifications, I believe that the attached is a Puffin (which I happily uploaded in a Farne Islands checklist) - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38513093 :king:

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Puffin.jpg
    Puffin.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Well I'm never in favour of "free" unless it's in my favour...I recall some comment somewhere in BF or elsewhere (not searching for it) disagreeing quite strongly with those T&C for reasons unknown...never bothered looking for them so you saved me a job there...

Well I guess you hand over data (observations + rich media) as a non-monetary transaction and have access to everyone else's data (and ability to access rich media) and all the bells and whistles (organising lists, target species, trip data, Merlin etc). The data is used to do science which informs conservation.

Seems like a reasonable trade to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back