• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anna's Hummingbirds - Getting a better look (1 Viewer)

SeattleDan

I've been playing, getting photos through a telescope, and this week I've experimented with using the camera's onboard "digital zoom" feature. I'd never used it because they say it degrades image quality. However, for getting an image as an aid in identification, it's going to be a valuable tool this year. I'm very happy to have discovered this.

My Anna's are mating (do they ever stop?) and it's a delight to watch all of their behavior. 30 to 40 feet from my living room window is a tree top where the "Roosters" like to perch. They do their death defying dives, right here, and I feel blessed to be able to watch them, helicopter up, then swoop down at light speed to impress the females.

Normally, to get a close look, the bird and camera must be perfectly still, the light perfectly right, etc. Mostly it's one in five hundred dumb luck. Thank goodness for an intelligent camera. Now, however, with this digital zoom, plus the scope at relatively close range, I'm getting some fun detail.

All this to say, "Hey, look at the rain drops on this bird's beak!" In my best California Cul de Sac accent, "I'm totally stoked."

Attachments

• P1390785 - Copy (581x800).jpg
    P1390785 - Copy (581x800).jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 107
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back