• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oriel Stringer books (1 Viewer)

It's not a great name for a publisher of bird ID books is it ;).

Absolutely right, Andrew!

Oriel certainly doesn't feature in the top 100 names in any list I can find after a short Internet search. However, perhaps if you went to Oxford, you might name your son Oriel (or daughter - it's been used as a girl's name) after Oriel College, which is a constituent college of the University of Oxford. Located in Oriel Square, the college has the distinction of being the oldest royal foundation in Oxford.:t:
MJB
PS Thanks, Wikipedia!;)

These books were more for finding birds nest and most of them schedule1 birds, in the wrong hands they could of been used for egg collecting.

These books were more for finding birds nest and most of them schedule1 birds, in the wrong hands they could of been used for egg collecting.

They ARE used for egg collecting,or at least In the past they were.At the least some of the titles were written by convicted eggers. :C

Last edited:
They ARE used for egg collecting,or at least In the past they were.At the least some of the titles were written by convicted eggers. :C

I am aware of the association this publisher has with the egg collecting fraternity however, which authors were actually convicted? Do you know?

The book that I read spoke of a past association with egg collecting i.e boyhood stuff. The actual content and the story is very interesting.

Most eggers are well aware of the sites from their internal associations with each other and most do not need books like this to show them the way.

Last edited:
I am aware of the association this publisher has with the egg collecting fraternity however, which authors were actually convicted? Do you know?

The book that I read spoke of a past association with egg collecting i.e boyhood stuff. The actual content and the story is very interesting.

Most eggers are well aware of the sites from their internal associations with each other and most do not need books like this to show them the way.

Do a google search of the authors names and you may find something,with regards to their past relationship's with birds and eggs.I believe some of the authors have Wildlife Law convictions against them.

Do a google search of the authors names and you may find something,with regards to their past relationship's with birds and eggs.I believe some of the authors have Wildlife Law convictions against them.

Of course, just wondered if you knew specifically or was it just hearsay.

The Authors were M.J Dawson and some bloke called Pearson, I have 2 of the books myself but like Ben Nevis said they could/are used for egg collecting. They are still available to buy on Amazon, that's the shocking thing.

The Authors were M.J Dawson and some bloke called Pearson, I have 2 of the books myself but like Ben Nevis said they could/are used for egg collecting. They are still available to buy on Amazon, that's the shocking thing.

There are a number of different authors of these books, the above are 2 of them. Northern Waders (the book I have read) is by GWR Dickson.

Nothing in the book is illegal so they will continue to be available. I think its down to the moral responsibility of the author and the publisher as within the book it discloses grid references of the locations of the birds (all schedule 1). Albeit these being sometime ago now.

A number of chapters are included in the book regarding the sensitive nature of the speices and the authors personal views on the 'bird protectionists', the author also states he was licensed for the visits (bar Purple Sand) and all data collected was given to the BTO nest record scheme. The Purple Sandpiper chapter throws up an interesting version of events regarding disturbance, i personally think it would have amounted to disturbance.

Disclosing the locations of the birds is a massive no-no for me. That info should be held only by BTO/rare bird recorder etc. However the info in the book is incredibly interesting if you are into the breeding behaviour/biology of these birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back