• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travelling to Sydney, Australia in March (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

Hello. My wife and I are travelling to Sydney, Australia in March 2018. I am hoping to arrange a days birding during our stay. Can anyone recommend or point me in the direction of a bird guide please.

Mike.

Hello. My wife and I are travelling to Sydney, Australia in March 2018. I am hoping to arrange a days birding during our stay. Can anyone recommend or point me in the direction of a bird guide please.

Mike.
You'll be able to do a lot of decent birdwatching around Sydney itself, solo- with a decent bird guide book.
Centennial Park in the city centre and the Royal National Park to the north of the city are straightforward.
There are a lot of birds around the suburban gardens and along the coastal paths north of Bondi Beach.
Have a great holiday!

I know we're Downunder, but unless it's changed dramatically, the Royal National Park is to the 'South' of Sydney :)

Sydney's a big place and it would be possible to spend most of your day in traffic if not careful (the only 'birds' likely to be seen then are ones that are flipped !) ;)

Best to organise and target something specific. Try and talk to the folks at:-
http://www.followthatbird.com.au/daytripreports.htm
http://www.ausbird.com/new-south-wales-local-guides/

I'm sure some of the many visitors to Sydney who've already done what you are contemplating, could give you tips as to what/ where is worthwhile, and what works in terms of time, and getting around, and what makes for a nice experience.

If going to Sydney Olympic Park precinct/ Lake Belvedere etc I would look at pushbikes to get around there to save time.

Good luck !

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Lots of good information thanks everyone. We will have a car briefly our trip is a couple of days in Sydney then across to Bathurst to visit friends. South to Moruya and working our way up the coast for a few more days in Sydney, Stopping at Moruya, Batemans Bay, Sussex Inlet, Shell Harbour back to Sydney for 5 days before moving on. Rob this is not our first trip to Oz been a few times. Also we have visited Sydney before but only a couple of days stop over on our way to New Zealand. This will be our first road trip in NSW. Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back