• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D3100 (1 Viewer)

Dint See It

I've been birding for a few years now and I'm thinking of starting bird photography. I know nothing about it at all! I've seen good reviews for the Nikon D3100 as a entry level dslr. Would this camera be suitable for bird/wildlife photography and would there be any special lenses needed?

Thanks in advance.

The D3100 is a nice little camera - small and lightweight. The cons for me during the time I had one were the lack of a top lcd for checking settings, the way it was very easy to change the focus point accidentally when using single point AF and of course the lack of in body AF motor does restrict the use of lenses [unless you're OK with manual focus]. Image quality is good and it's an easy camera to get to grips with. FPS is a bit pedestrian but mostly adequate for birding. I hate it when people suggest a more expensive option when someone asks for advice on buying - but if you could stretch to just a bit more there are still D90s around at a good price and that is a really nice camera with a much bigger choice of both Nikon and third party lenses.

some D3100 stuff here - birds mainly taken with 70-300mm VR
www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/72157625040564387/with/5105743872/

Last edited:
I got the D3100 recently to replace a D40X. I use it for birding and have gotten excellent results with it. I use a Sigma 150-500mm lens for almost all of my shots, so it's tough to compare it to 70-300 mm Nikon, but I have some photos of BIF here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18276798@N07/sets/72157626114674636/with/5493066115/
The D3100 is a very good camera for someone just starting out. It has a guide mode that is helpful in setting up your shot. I would also search online for photographers that do a lot of nature/bird photography to get some useful tips on how to capture the best images. One tip I have found useful is to shoot in aperture priority mode with the lens wide open. You're assured of getting the fastest possible shutter speed to freeze action.
Hope this is helpful,
DJ

I got mine not long after it came out, and absolutely love it! im still working on the settings, but have taken some amazing shots.. got the 55-200mm lens on it, but am thinking of upgrading to the 55-300mm soon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back