• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anybody seen a Purple Swamphen lately? (1 Viewer)

Bert

Birdwatchingalentejo.com

Attachments

• Purple Swamphen, Purperkoet, Purpurhuhn, Caimao, Calamon Comun.jpg
    Purple Swamphen, Purperkoet, Purpurhuhn, Caimao, Calamon Comun.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
eBird shows a number of Purple Sw. sightings around Lake Okeechobee. Attempts have been made to extirpate them from Florida because they fear the impact on native birds and wildlife, but they have not been successful, at least so far.

Jim

My daughter used to call them big blue chickens when she was little! (Now she is old enough to call them by their correct name). They are pretty much well installed at most wetlands in the Algarve now - after a massive decline in the 60-70's.

eBird shows a number of Purple Sw. sightings around Lake Okeechobee. Attempts have been made to extirpate them from Florida because they fear the impact on native birds and wildlife, but they have not been successful, at least so far.

Jim

I wonder what they eat? - down here its practically a staple diet of Reedmace crowns. If they eat the same in the USA I wouldn't have imagined too much negative impact?

I wonder what they eat? - down here its practically a staple diet of Reedmace crowns. If they eat the same in the USA I wouldn't have imagined too much negative impact?

A random grab from the internet on possible impacts:

Little is known of the ecological impacts of Purple Swamphens in Florida. However, they are known to be highly territorial and aggressive, and often fight amongst themselves and with other species over food. In large numbers, these aggressive invaders could have negative impacts on native birds. Large flocks could also cause serious habitat disruption by feeding on native plants. Purple Swamphens especially like to eat spikerush plants (Eleocharis spp.), which are extremely important for creating habitat that supports fisheries in Lake Okeechobee and other aquatic habitats in Florida.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw315

Jim

Thanks Jim - As nearly always, birds introduced into areas by man produce problems it seems...yes they certainly throw their weight around too, which together with loud honking noises must scare the hell out of smaller waterbirds. Mind you, I have seen brave Common Moorehens stand up to them!

Common names can be very confusing because Porphyrio porphyrio is called both Purple Swamphen and Purple Gallinule depending which books you use and which country you are in, in New Zealand it is a Pukeko. South Africa calls it an African Purple Swamphen and it is also called Purple Moorhen and Purple Coot. The Americans make it worse by calling their Porphyrio martinica a Purple Gallinule. I won't even start with foreign names! We have lots of them in the marshes around Valencia.

there are sightings of purple swamphen as far north as georgia now......they might eventually breed in okeefenokee.........anyways i think that they are a species thats here to stay and its too late to eradicate them altogether......ive yet to find any research documenting them preying on the young of other waterbirds in the US (at least enough to negatively impact any native species as of yet)

Last edited:

I saw one in New Zealand (if we consider it the same species on this thread) take a decent sized Peacock chick from under the nose of the peahen, so it appears they're capable of a varied diet!

Purple Gallinule in Argentina

There were lots in Ibera Wetlands, Northern Argentina, but these were Porphyrula Martinica. They look a bit different!

Attachments

• gallinule.jpg
    gallinule.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 97
I saw one in New Zealand (if we consider it the same species on this thread) take a decent sized Peacock chick from under the nose of the peahen, so it appears they're capable of a varied diet!

Pukeko is indeed the very same bird as the European Purple Gallinule and as the introduced species in USA but the local USA species is P. martinica

This site also gives some information; http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw315

Aha, thanks Sunbird, that site answers my question. Sorry if I was being confusing. I meant that some people consider different forms of Purple Swamphen P. porphyrio to be different species rather than just subspecies. The form in Florida being mostly Grey-headed Swamphen P. (p.) poliocephalus, from Asia. Hope that makes sense :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back