• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Leighton Hare and "his" South African birds (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s a minor, tiny addition (but mostly questions!) regarding …

harei as in:
● the subspecies (Mirafra) Calendulauda africanoides harei ROBERTS 1917 (here, p.258): "… and a pair of birds collected by Mr. H. L. Hare at Barkly West …"
● the subspecies Galerida magnirostris harei ROBERTS 1924 (here, p.86) : "…taken by H. L. Hare, at Philipstown, C.P. [Cape Province], in April, 1912."
The same (latter) Paper also includes:
● the invalid "D. [Dendropicos] hartlaubi harei" ROBERTS 1924 (p.84): "…taken at Barkly West by H. L. Hare, on May 24th 1910. …" [Syn. Dendropicos fuscescens VIEILLOT 1818]

He is s well commemorated in:
● the invalid "Heterotetrax vigorsii harei" ROBERTS 1937 (see p.93, in the paper mentioned in the old thread; Some small odd etymologies of Austin Roberts 1937, here, from back in 2014) [Syn. Eupodotis vigorsii namaqua ROBERTS 1932]
● and the equally invalid "Pseudammomanes harei" ROBERTS 1937 (same paper, on. p.96) [Syn. ?? Mirafra/Certhilauda/Calendulauda burra BANGS 1930 alt. Ammomanes burrus]:
"Mr. H. Leighton Hare was also prepared to accompany and assist me in collecting birds, …"
[...]
"... to my old friend Mr. Harry Leighton Hare for his great help in collecting specimens and assisting in skinning when necessary: …"
... which all ends up in the South African ornithologist and collector Mr. H. ("Harry"? alt./short for Harold?) Leighton Hare (fl.1947), his (double?) Surname sometimes written with hyphen as "Leighton-Hare" … Author of (among other Papers); The birds of Philipstown, Cape Province, with Notes on their Habits (1915), here … and onwards …

More details on this Mr. Leighton Hare (here):
Hare, Mr H Leighton
(ornithology)

Born: Date not known, Place not known.
Died: Date not known, Place not known.

H. Leighton Hare joined the civil service of the Cape Colony on 9 February 1902. After the formation of the Union of South Africa (in 1910) he was employed in the Department of Justice as a third grade clerk attached to the magistrate court in Philipstown, Cape Province. In 1916 he became a foundation member of the South African Biological Society. In the society's lists of members for 1919 and 1920 his address is given as Zwagershoek, a farm some 10 km south of Philipstown.

Hare published several ornithological papers and notes over a period of more than three decades. His first paper described "The birds of Philipstown, Cape Province, with notes on their habits" (Journal of the South African Ornithologists' Union, 1915, Vol. 11(1), pp. 1-19). This was followed many years later by several contributions to the journal Ostrich: "Vultures, crows and sheep" (1932), in which he described the return of vultures to the Philipstown district after an absence of 40 years; "Records of unusual habits of birds" (1932); "Remarks on changed conditions in the Karroo in recent years" (1937), describing the effects of drought and overstocking; and, as co-author with J.M. Winterbottom, "On the birds of Port St Johns, Pondoland" (1947).

List of sources:
Google scholar. http://scholar.google.co.za/ Publications by H.L. Hare.
Journal of the South African Ornithologists' Union, 1915, Vol. 11(1), paper by H. Leighton Hare.
South African Journal of Natural History, 1919, Vol. 1(2), pp. 274-277 and 1920, Vol. 2(2), pp. 293-301, Lists of members [of the SA Biological Society].
Union of South Africa. Public Service List, 1914. Pretoria: Government Printer, 1914.
Also see the following links: here, here, here and here.

He is most likely also commemorated in the invalid Rock Rat "Aethomys chrysophilus harei" ROBERTS 1946 (Note: OD unseen) [Junior synonym of Aethomys ineptus THOMAS & WROUGHTON 1908].

Today's HBW Alive Key explains this eponym as:
harei
Harold Leighton Hare (fl. 1910) South African ornithologist, collector ...

Does anyone know the full facts (the years) for this guy? And if his true first name really was either Harry or Harold?

Björn
--

Last edited:
Henry Leighton Hare born Aldridge Staffordshire M.A. Cambridge 1893, passed most of childhood in South Africa.
https://books.google.com/books?id=YFAMAQAAMAAJ&source=gbs_navlinks_s .
Page 147.
Another source says he was born September 18, 1848 at Cape of Good Hope.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Abx6EqTRfqEC&dq=Henry+Leighton+Hare+M.A.&source=gbs_navlinks_s .
P. 241.
Died in 1924 in S.A. .
https://www.geni.com/people/Henry-Leighton-Hare/6000000032659609036 .
His Father had a Membership of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (MRCS) is a postgraduate diploma for surgeons in the UK and Ireland. Obtaining this qualification allows a doctor to become a member of one of the four surgical colleges in the UK

Last edited:
Now Henry versus Harry or "Harold" Leighton(-)Hare, born 1893 or 1848 and died 1924 ...?!?

Mark, are you sure it´s "our" guy you´re looking at!? I've only seen him mentioned by the (first) name "Harry".

When Austin Roberts coined these names (all the way til 1937) he didn´t mention anything hinting that the guy in question had passed away.

Looks fishy to me ... this said without having been able to see the works you linked to, (US-access only?).

Any connections found to Roberts?
-

Last edited:
I don't know Mr. Hare's actual name, but the diminutive "Harry" is compatible with both Harold and Henry in English.
(E.g.: Prince Harry = Henry Charles Albert David, Prince of Wales.)

However, the dates of Mark's suggestion seem problematic indeed. (He published in Ostrich until 1947.)

(First link, US-only:
Hare.—Henry Leighton Hare, M.A., Hellifield Peel, Yorks ; eldest son of Henry Woodroffe Hare, M.R.C.S.Eng. ; born at Aldridge, Staffordshire ; educated privately, and at Christ's College, Cambridge ; M.A., 1893. Lord of the Manor of Gisburn Forest ; passed most of early life in South Africa ; served with Volunteer Forces in the Gaika-Galeka War of 1877 ; returned finally to England on succeeding, upon the death of his uncle, the late T. W. Hare, to the Brome entailed estates in Montgomeryshire and Yorkshire. Married Louisa Katherine, daughter of Christopher Harison, Conservator of Crown Forests, Cape Colony, late Captain 73rd Regiment.
1893 would be the date he became "M.A.", not his birth date.
The second link is previewable from here. Perhaps try this: https://books.google.com/books?id=Abx6EqTRfqEC&pg=PA241)

Last edited:
I listed his date of getting his masters 1893. If he collected in the early 1920s publishing in 1937 is not that late.

I listed his date of getting his masters 1893. If he collected in the early 1920s publishing in 1937 is not that late.
True, but publishing in Ostrich in 1947 ([here]), if born in 1848 (even assuming he did not die in 1924), is quite late.
Also:
returned finally to England on succeeding, upon the death of his uncle, the late T. W. Hare
His uncle Thomas William Hare ([here]) died in 1889. (Also reported [here] in 1890.)
Thus, so far, we have no evidence that he was in S Africa around 1910-1912 when a number of the birds described by Roberts were collected.

How about [this Harry Leighton Hare], born 24 Nov 1883 in Peddie, Eastern Cape ? (A nephew of Henry LH -- the son of his brother William.)

Last edited:
In the notes for my MS (where he might be left out all together) he will be simply "H. Leighton Hare" or Mr ditto, at least until further evidence has surfaced.

But, to me, Laurent's latter "Harry Leighton Hare" looks like a likely candidate ...

I will not go any further on this one ... too busy cleaning my desk. ;)

Keep digging!
--

Last edited:
Quick return on Austin Roberts's "Harry Leighton Hare". He also mentioned him, here; "Mr Leighton-Hare (assisting in the collecting of birds and mammals), ...". Apparently alive (far from dead in 1924) in, at least, 1937!

Another clue maybe making him possible to trace is the following; in the Membership List of the South African Ornithological Society, of 26h April, 1941, published in the Ostrich 12 (1), he´s listed as: H. Leighton Hare, Rest Haven. Port St. John. Pondoland" ... which fits the 1947 Paper "On the birds of Port St Johns, Pondoland", that he apparently wrote together with Mr Winterbottom. Also see here.
--

Last edited:
Maybe it is time to re-open this thread with what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds

Fawn-coloured Lark ssp. Calendulauda africanoides harei J. A. Roberts, 1917
Cardinal Woodpecker ssp. Dendropicos fuscescens harei J. A. Roberts, 1924 NCR [NUI Dendropicos fuscescens fuscescens]
Large-billed Lark ssp. Galerida magnirostris harei J. A. Roberts, 1924
Ferruginous Lark sp. Pseudammomanes harei J. A. Roberts, 1937 NCR [Alt. Red Lark; JS Calendulauda burra]
H. Leighton Hare (fl.1932) was a South African ornithologist and collector, who wrote 'The birds of Philipstown, Cape Province, with notes on their habits' (1915).

Indeed some doubt that it is him.

Here we find The birds of Philipstown, Cape Province, with notes on their habits (1915), RECORDS OF UNUSUAL HABITS OF BIRDS (1932) and as well Layard's Seed - eater ( Poliospiza leucoptera ) seen near Orchard , Cape Province . Ostrich 25 : 42-43 (1954).

Today's Key to Scientific Names:
harei
Henry Leighton Hare (fl. 1920) English civil servant in South Africa, ornithologist, collector (subsp. Calendulauda africanoides, syn. Certhilauda burra, syn. Dendropicos fuscescens, syn. Eupodotis vigorsii namaqua, subsp. Galerida magnirostris).

... versus the Biographical Database of Southern African Science (here) [my blue bolds, in the quote below]:
Hare, Mr Harry Leighton (ornithology)
Born: 24 November 1883, Peddie, Eastern Cape, South Africa.
Died: Date not known, Place not known.
Active in: SA

Harry Leighton Hare, son of William Hare and his wife Francis, born Hooper, joined the civil service of the Cape Colony on 9 February 1902. During the next ten years or so he worked as a clerk in Tulbach and Cape Town. After the formation of the Union of South Africa (in 1910) he was employed in the Department of Justice as a third grade clerk attached to the magistrate court in Philipstown, Cape Province. In 1916 he became a foundation member of the South African Biological Society. In the society's lists of members for 1919 and 1920 his address is given as Zwagershoek, a farm some 10 km south of Philipstown.

Hare published several ornithological papers and notes over a period of more than three decades. His first paper described "The birds of Philipstown, Cape Province, with notes on their habits" (Journal of the South African Ornithologists' Union, 1915, Vol. 11(1), pp. 1-19). This was followed many years later by several contributions to the journal Ostrich: "Vultures, crows and sheep" (1932), in which he described the return of vultures to the Philipstown district after an absence of 40 years; "Records of unusual habits of birds" (1932); "Remarks on changed conditions in the Karroo in recent years" (1937), describing the effects of drought and overstocking; and, as co-author with J.M. Winterbottom, "On the birds of Port St Johns, Pondoland" (1947).

List of sources:

Google scholar. Google Scholar Publications by H.L. Hare.

Harry Leighton Hare. Geni, at Harry Leighton Hare Retrieved on 2018-1-6.

Journal of the South African Ornithologists' Union, 1915, Vol. 11(1), paper by H. Leighton Hare.

National Automated Archival Information Retrieval System (NAAIRS). National Automated Archival Information Retrieval System Documents relating to Leighton Hare / H.L. Hare.

South African Journal of Natural History, 1919, Vol. 1(2), pp. 274-277 and 1920, Vol. 2(2), pp. 293-301, Lists of members [of the SA Biological Society].

Union of South Africa. Public Service List, 1914. Pretoria: Government Printer, 1914.

Compiled by: C. Plug

Last updated: 2020-04-23 17:30:14

Take it for what it's worth (I just happened to notice that this page have been updated since we last dealt with this guy. Compare with the earlier version, quoted in post #1).

Hopefully of some help/use in finding the missing pieces, alt. the very last piece itself ...

🧩

Björn

Last edited:
I have to give up on this one - He was living at "Resthaven" in Port St John that I assume was a residential care facility thus his death was probably in the 1950s or early 1960s but I can find no record in RSA burials, estates probates nor newspaper obits. I note the Biographical Database of Southern African Science has also been unable to find his date of death.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back