• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with a Canon Elph 300 HS (1 Viewer)

JBT

I'm new to the world of digiscoping and just wanted to share my very first digiscoping pics. They're not the greatest pictures but I'm very happy with them. The pics were taken through my modified Nikon ED50 using a 2" astronomical eyepiece that gives me an 80 degree FOV at around 9x with an ER of 20mm. So far I'm really liking the Elph 300 HS and Modified ED50 combo. The HD video from this camera is great too. The camera was set on auto and no enhancements were made to the pics. I can't wait to get out and give it another round. Any advise that could help me get better results would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• P1030578.jpg
    P1030578.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 152
  • P1030579.jpg
    P1030579.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 152
  • P1030581.jpg
    P1030581.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 134
As soon as I get the chance I'll take some pics of it. It's not much of a Nikon ED50 anymore. The only part left the is from the original Nikon is the objective.

Sorry for the delay. I actually ended up changing eyepieces because the MK-80's field just wasn't sharp enough at the edges for me. I really wanted the MK-80 to work out but my 30mm Leitz performed much better.

I have a power switch on the scope which allows me to change magnification just by flipping a switch. When using the Leitz I estimate I get somewhere around 10x and somewhere around 18x when I flip the low setting switch and somewhere around 30x when I switch the high mag switch. So far I'm extremely happy with the 10x. I compared it to the view with my Nikon EII bins and I find the view through my modified scope better.

I made a very simple digi adapter out of PVC that works great. I use rubber bands to hold the camera firmly in place and just slide the PVC tube over the EP. It's very quick and simple. So far I think the Leitz is going to be my main EP but for higher powers I plan on getting a mirror diagonal and a Nagler zoom which should give me somewhere around 47x to 95x.

Definitely not pretty but I'm happy with it. Anyways here's some pics of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 102
Here's one with the camera attached. Quality isn't that good cause I had to use my cell phone to take the pic.

Attachments

• 0901112233.jpg
    0901112233.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 197
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back