• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carbon fibre tripod legs (1 Viewer)

stuart white

Can anyone recommend the best carbon fibre tripod legs for under £200? I use a 65 Swarovski telescope. Ideally I'd like 3 section legs and clip locks as opposed to twisting/screw locks. I have a manffroto 128RC2 head. Any help much appreciated.

Although it does not have clip locks, here is one you might consider, the Feisol CT-3301:

http://www.globaltechcommerce.co.uk/feisoluk/11-ct-3301-standard.html

I own this model,

http://www.globaltechcommerce.co.uk/feisoluk/24-ct-3342-tournament.html

and although I haven't had the opportunity to compare it directly to other carbon fiber tripods in its class, I am pleased with it- it has held up well through 3 years of use, is very light, and does reasonably well for stability even with the legs fully extended under my 4 lb. straight-through style spotting scope. I would think the 3301 would be quite stable for a lighter 65mm scope (especially if it's the angled version).

Last edited:
Plenty of options. The Velbon Sherpa mentionned above works well and is broadly comparable with Manfrotto's 190cx3.

If you do a lot of coastal watching then perhaps consider the Manfrotto 055cx3, slightly over budget, but should offer greater stability.

The latter is also higher when extended which depending on your height, scope type and viewing habits may or may not be significant.

Camerapricebuster now covers tripods and is a handy way of checking for best on line prices.HTH :t:

I own this model,

http://www.globaltechcommerce.co.uk/feisoluk/24-ct-3342-tournament.html

and although I haven't had the opportunity to compare it directly to other carbon fiber tripods in its class, I am pleased with it- it has held up well through 3 years of use, is very light, and does reasonably well for stability even with the legs fully extended under my 4 lb. straight-through style spotting scope. I would think the 3301 would be quite stable for a lighter 65mm scope (especially if it's the angled version).[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine has the same Feisol tripod as you and, having compared it to my 2 series Gitzo, we both reckon it is pretty good overall and very good for the price. The only point of concern is the height, if your scope is angled then it should be fine but it is a little restricting for my straight Kowa - just check before you pay.
As a side note it works well for lenses up to a 300 F2.8 + extenders if you use it for photography.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back