• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D7100 and new 80-400vr combo (1 Viewer)

Is the VR efficacy 4 stops as advertised?

VR is not effective, in fact it is detrimental, under 1/500 second and since most bird photography is at considerably higher speeds VR/IS/OS should be switched off to prevent interference. Therefore the number of stops of efficacy is irrelevant 99% of the time, OK of course for your other forms of photography.

As far as comparison with other lenses goes, the general consensus is the prime lenses are still better than zooms but the gap has closed on image quality. The new 80-400 comes in just behind the Nikon 200-400. The 200-400 is just behind the 300 f/4 AFS. And the 300 f/2.8, 400 f/2.8, 500 f/4, and 600 f/4 are a little better.

With all these lenses the price is a pretty good indicator of ranking. The 300 f/4 offers value because it is a little older design and does not have VR. The new 80-400 is a nice compromise between the 70-200 and 200-400.

One note of caution. The 80-400 with a teleconverter may not be as good. You get the expected drop in quality with the teleconverter, but there is also a difference with AF. Depending on your camera body, the 80-400 may not autofocus. The D7100 only provides AF with the center sensor above f/5.6, and the other Nikon cameras have a reduced number of sensors that provide AF above f/5.6.

I believe all of the above is spot on with the exception that the 7100 can provide AF at up to f8 and not f5.6. The cameras use the centre 11 focus points - more than enough for bird photography (where many use centre point only anyway to prevent AF confusion).

Having 100-400L IS, I will have reservation. 100-400 at my hand is very sharp and it has minimal focal length breathing.

Both my birding pals use the Canon 100-400L. It is a very fine lens at shorter distances and in decent light but they put it away as soon as the light dims and don't even attempt many long range shots (except for record shots). The light issue is the worry I'd have with the new 80-400 VR.

I have the Sigma 100-300/2.8 (which works brilliantly with the Sigma x1.4 and x2.0 TCs) and this is a far superior lens. Even so I hardly use it since buying the 300/2.8 and using it with Nikon's TC14EII and TC20EIII, these are simply amazing. I did trial the 200-400 too and it is also wonderful, if not quite up to the 300/2.8 level even though it is a more expensive lens.

If you are not bothered about the weight then consider the superb Sigma 120-300 too (not the new version which is quite expensive as it has just been released, but the previous OS version). The Nikon weighing in at 1,570g and the Sigma at just over 3 kgs !

Some fine shots indeed in those albums from the OP. I'd like to ask if you have had a chance to add a x1.4 and if so how was the AF and sharpness ?

Last edited:
V
Some fine shots indeed in those albums from the OP. I'd like to ask if you have had a chance to add a x1.4 and if so how was the AF and sharpness ?

Thank you Frogfish. I have used a 1.4tc with it and I'm not convinced it's worth it. I prefer to use the D7100 with it. In 1.3 crop mode it gives a FOV at 400mm smaller than the 500f4 with a D800 in DX mode. ie 800 vs 750mm equivalent. That seems enough for me. Within 15 metres the TC can be fine for putting more pixels on the bird, but I'm not really short of pixels and prefer the sharpness of the naked lens.
I was photographing cranes at Slimbridge last week and tried with and without the TC. They were at 400 metres and I was able to shoot them in flight against a background but looking at the image again the ones without the TC were sharper and had lower iso because of being at f 7.1 as opposed to f11. At extreme range it is sharper stopped down to 7.1. Normal range f 5.6 is best.

Thank you Frogfish. I have used a 1.4tc with it and I'm not convinced it's worth it. I prefer to use the D7100 with it. In 1.3 crop mode it gives a FOV at 400mm smaller than the 500f4 with a D800 in DX mode. ie 800 vs 750mm equivalent. That seems enough for me. Within 15 metres the TC can be fine for putting more pixels on the bird, but I'm not really short of pixels and prefer the sharpness of the naked lens.
I was photographing cranes at Slimbridge last week and tried with and without the TC. They were at 400 metres and I was able to shoot them in flight against a background but looking at the image again the ones without the TC were sharper and had lower iso because of being at f 7.1 as opposed to f11. At extreme range it is sharper stopped down to 7.1. Normal range f 5.6 is best.

Thank you for the comprehensive answer Rich. B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back