• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 55/Manfrotto 190 or Velbon Sherpa 600? (1 Viewer)

submersiblesid

Novice but enthusiastic
Hi everyone,
As a newbie I'm quite confused by which tripod and head I should choose for a newly purchased Celestron 80mm scope ( weight 1.6kg ). I have a budget of around £100 and will be looking to purchase pre used.
I've read extensively through posts on the tripod thread of the forum and it seems that most people recommend the Manfrotto 55, Manfrotto 190 of a Velbon Sherpa 600 for my budget.
I will be using this scope for bird and wild life watching and want something that will be stable enough to sustain light winds in exposed environments.
In terms of a head to fit the tripod; would I be better with a pan and tilt or a ball type head?
I welcome all recommendations for tripods and heads and thank you in advance for your time.
Please feel free to PM me if you are considering selling a suitable tripod and head.
Many thanks,
Jon

I have the 055XB in aluminum with a 128RC video head, and the 190CX3 in carbon with a 700RC2 video head.

I really like the 190CX3 in the field with my Meopta 82mm scope. The tripod with head weighs just 1864 gm. It's easy to carry and the carbon fiber soaks up vibrations quite well.

The 055XB in aluminum is kind of a monster, just huge. It's a good choice if you aren't going to be carrying it very far. Very solid. I'm not sure what the weight is but Manfrotto's website has some pretty accurate weights listed for all their components. The 055 in carbon would save some weight but it would still be a BIG tripod and it's considerably more expensive than the 190.

As for the heads, most users recommend 2-way video heads with full-size scopes. The 128RC is big and heavy but very smooth. The 700RC2 is not quite as smooth but much smaller and half the weight.

Overall I much prefer the 190CX3/700RC2 combo because I'm willing to carry it long distance. I tried carrying the 055XB/128RC2 a few times but no thanks. ;)

Hope this helps,
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back