• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bins shortlist - any more to add? (1 Viewer)

Brian, let me know which you choose, I'm in the same position at the moment, and I still haven't decided! For me, it's either the 8x42bn leica, Nikon 8x42, or zeiss (not sure which yet) , and I just can't make my mind up....

BrianB said:
I am shortly going to buy a new pair of bins (birthday coming up!) What I am looking for is a pair of roofs, waterproof and 8x magnification around the £300 mark. Having done a lot of browsing I have come up with a shortlist:

Bushnell Legend 8x42
Nikon Monarch 8x42DCF
Opticron Imagic BGA ASFT 8x42
Zeiss Conquest 8x30

Are there any others I should add to this list? :h?:

Also, I know that I need to try out several pairs to see what works best for me, but any opinions would be welcome.

Many thanks

Given that your price range seems to be up to ~£300, you might consider the Minox 8x32 BR and the Pentax 8x32 SP. They are certainly respectable performers, though I do not know how good they are when compared to the others that you list. I suspect that some 8x32 roof prism binoculars are variations on a theme and originate in the same factory in Japan, though I think the Zeiss are German?

Also the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 are semi-waterproof, have decent optics, cost ~£200 but are somewhat bulky.

I own the Nikon Monarch 10x42. They're a nice enough pair of bins for sure but 300 quid seems a bit steep (less than half that price here in Japan and also I believe in the US). Aren't those new Zeiss Conquests about the same price in the UK? I'd be tempted to go for those.

Having said that I have never used the Monarch 8x42. I seem to remember reading a review that rated them pretty highly in one of the UK birding magazines about a year ago.

Last edited:
pduxon said:
whoops - are they shower proof? The SE's aren't waterproof but are shower proof apparently

Why would you want to use them in the shower?

I would try not expose my Nikon 8x32 SE to rain, but I suspect they would not leak as long as I held them objectives down, and did not operate the focus while wet.

BrianB said:
I think I'm going to have to spend a lot of time trying them out and seeing if I really think there is that much difference between them all :D

Brian,

That's all you have to do....

There are lot's of great Binoculars out there...try as many as you can get your mitts on.

YOU, and only YOU will know when you've found the right pair...

BUY them...

You will not regret it!

Dave.

BrianB said:
Eco..eccon...echo... No, I don't get it. I'm sure it's something my wife keeps saying though :eek!:
Thank God I listened to my wife 15 years ago - If I hadn't, I would be birding around with a nice Walkman-yellow pair of Minolta roofs... trying not to look embarrassed 3:) . But back then there was no such thing as the Bird Forum.

Your shortlist is growing, but a good "pair" (medium vs. high end) to test is eg. Opticron Veranos (8x32) and Nikon HGs. :t:

Ilkka

Brian,
I think you should splurge as much as you can. I have used both Zeiss and Swaros in the past. Neither are cheap but, unless you get robbed at knife-point (as I did), they will last a life-time. Also, I can vouch for the after-sales service of both companies, outstanding!

Hang on for the new Zeiss FLs for your wife, Brian - it's looking as if they will be an outstanding glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back