• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any Samples using Nikon 70-200 VR with TC2X? (1 Viewer)

calvinlo

Hi,

Pls help if you are able to.

I'm finally on the verge of commiting myself to either getting the Nikon 80-400 VR or the Nikon 70-200 + TC2X. But since cash is hard to come by, I would REALLY appreciate VERY MUCH if anyone of you can post me some samples taken using the 70-200 VR with TC2X before I really plunge into it.

I'm kind of incline towards the 70-200 combo because of its focusing speed, but I heard that the image quality is poorer than purely using the 80-400 VR. How true, or how bad is it really?

CAlv :cat:

Hi Calvin,
I have both the 80-400 VR and the 70-200 VR,and have used the latter extensively with a Kenko Pro 300 X2 TC.The 70-200 with TC still focuses more smoothly and quietly than the 80-400;the bokeh is better too.There's not much in it as regards image quality-without TC the 70-200 wins hands down but the 80-400 may be slightly sharper up to 300mm versus the 70-200 with TC.When I can't take my 200-400 VR with me I find myself choosing the 70-200+TC,although others will disagree with me.There are samples from both lenses on my pbase site, www.pbase.com/juninho03/ The Galapagos section has quite a few 70-200+TC pics and the Makutsi section quite a few from both lenses,I think.
Best to try before you buy.
Best wishes,Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back