• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca June 10-17 2013 (1 Viewer)

Gordon

A planned weeks camping in north west Scotland was abandoned when, towards the end of May, the road from Tomintoul to Braemar was closed with snow – some guaranteed sunshine was called for. A week in Port d'Alcudia was quickly arranged.

We arrived in the early hours of Monday, 10th June and left in the early hours of Monday 17th June. We did not hire a car thinking that bus and foot would get us around to the extent that we planned. Looking back, we should have hired bikes as that would have meant all the sites around Alcudia were (more) easily accessible – Boquer Valley, Pollensa “back lanes”, Albufereta, Tucan marsh, Albufera, the depuradora and Son Real. As it turned out we didn't visit the depuradora, Son Real, or La Gola.

The buses were a bit of a disappointment as there do not appear to be any which pass through Port d'Alcudia before 8:15am. In fact, on the morning we went to the Boquer the first bus going to Pollensa didn't turn up until half nine. Also, I had hoped that visiting the Cuber Reservoir and Lluc would have been possible in a day but as the bus only runs to Soller in the morning and back in the afternoon that was not possible so we did not visit Lluc – a bit of a disappointment as we missed out on Firecrest and Wryneck.

Our week consisted of a visit to Albufera on the Monday afternoon and the Tuesday. On Wednesday we spent the day in the Boquer Valley with Thursday taken up with a trip to the Cuber Reservoir on public transport. Friday and Saturday were lazy days with visits only to the Tucan Marsh while the trip was rounded off with most of Sunday at Albufereta and the Pollensa “back Lanes”.

We saw 78 different species of which 11 were lifers.

Unfortunately we missed Moustached Warbler at Albufera, Balearic Warbler in the Boquer Valley and both Spectacled and Moltoni's Warblers at Cuber. Aside from those species and Thekla Lark we saw most of what we expected/wanted – excepting Wryneck and Firecerest, as already mentioned.

Rather than provide a detailed write-up, as I don't think there's much to say that would be new I'll just add a few comments regarding what I felt was notable from my perspective – in no particular order of merit.

Firstly, I was completely taken aback by the numbers of Nightingales especially as they were, more often then not, in the “wrong” habitat. For example at the Cuber Reservoir. None of the birds we heard were in “full” song and I wondered if they were the young of the year starting to practice and learn their song in readiness for next year – maybe someone can help me out with that. Also at Cuber the area was alive with singing Chaffinches.

Cuber also provided great vulture viewing – 6 Eurasian Griffons in the scope at one time and, just before we left whilst waiting on the bus, we had 1 Eurasian Griffon and 3 Black Vultures sitting on the ridge which would be to the west of the entrance. We had a group of 3 Buzzards here too along with Red Kites and Booted Eagles.

I notice that on the Mallorca 2013 thread the question of “eastern type” Stonechat has been raised. I too was surprised to see Stonechats at Albufera and in the Boquer Valley that, at first glance, looked like some Stonechats I've seen in India during our winter months. They both had very limited and bright orange patches on the breast and relatively large white collars. However, I did not see the rumps and thought nothing more of it other than it must be normal plumage variation as I later saw a “normal” rubicola at the Cuber Resevoir. There are photographs on bird guides of Stonechats from Spain which show these characteristics.

I was pleased to find an Audouin's Gull appear on Tucan Marsh shortly before a Little Bittern flew across. Also, 2 Audouin's Gulls came to bread at the cove at the end of the Boquer Valley.

We got to the Boquer quite late in the morning so it was beginning to get very hot and we weren't hopeful of finding Balearic, or much else come to that. We spend several hours basking at the cove hoping that there would be a better chance of finding the warblers when it cooled down a bit. While basking we had a Blue Rock Thrush show on a number of occasions and 2 Ospreys came in off the sea and made their way inland along the valley. Despite it being cooler as we worked our way back we were unable to pin down Balearic Warbler although we suspected we caught a couple of snatches of song. To make up for that though Sardinian Warblers were relatively easy to locate and there was quite a showy singing male Cirl bunting. And the Booted Eagles and Ravens also showed well over the ridge.

I don't think its necessary to say anything about Albufera as its probably all been said before but we were relieved to see the Marbled Ducks even if it was only 2 birds in flight twice (dipped the Moustached Warblers though).

Also notable, to me at least, were the numbers of Great Reed Warblers - like Nightingales they seemed to be everywhere and there were Fan-tailed Warblers aplenty - especially along the Ses Puntes track in Albufera.

All in all a very enjoyable week in the sun with some relaxing birding – Hoopoes and Spotted Flycatchers at the front of the hotel with Eleonora's Falcons overhead of an evening, Western Orphean Warblers and Serins in surrounding gardens, and good to see plenty of House Sparrows and Greenfinches. We didn't bump into many other birders but those that we did meet were having similar luck to ourselves as far as connecting with the various warbler species. So, no real disappointment then given the time of year and as always it means there's always a good reason to return. This was our first time in Mallorca and I have a feeling it won't be the last.

cheers
Gordon

Nice write up Gordon. You did well to see orphans warblers,though certainly plausible it is usually Sardinian that are seen routinely.

Thanks Nick,
was surprised myself but we seen them on numerous occasions in gardens around town and elsewhere. The only Sardinians we saw were in the Boquer.

cheers
Gordon

If you do go back don't miss out on Son Real..May is best.At the farm buildings near the entrance there are Woodchat Shrike,Hoopoe, Red-legged Partridge and I've seen Hobby (and strangely a Squacco Heron) flying over here.Keep your eyes high for Honey Buzzard in may. The woods are full of Serin,Corn Bunting,Nightingale and Sardinian Warbler as you walk towards the beach.This is one of the places to catch up with pheasant in Mallorca.As you get to the far end near the shore Balearic Warbler can be found,and almost on the beach there are Dartford Warbler in the garrigue(about the only site for them in Mallorca).On the beach(which is more stone than sand)are a few Kentish Plover(make sure you avoid any nest),Thekla Lark and just inland Tawny Pipit...get the GOB guide "A birding Tourists Guide to Mallorca"and it gives you a lot of tips.
Travelling inland to the hills could get you Rock Sparrow as well as Spectacled Warbler,but most species can be seen on the coast,and not that I've ever sen one but there has been a re-introduction scheme of Bonelli's Eagle into the hills.
.Scop's Owl are seen and heard near the Pollensa Park Hotel,and Audouin's Gull come to the beach here..Sit at Tamarells Bar on the beach with a sangria and you can watch and photograph them from your seat at about 5pm and later.I've had Black Vulture over Puerto Pollensa and Alcudia,but Boquer has a fifty percent record for the species,and 100 per cent for Booted Eagle..they can be sitting in the trees beneath you in Boquer.The two big boulders on the way in are a good site for Blue Rock Thrush,and just as you start to descend to the beach at the far end is where to look for Balearic Warbler.You get Red-legged Partridge in the valley here,and I've heard Quail and Grasshopper Warbler from outside the Boquer Finca(the big farm building) near the start of the valley.I've also had Griffon over the valley,and many a Honey Buzzard.
In may the s'Albufereta is the place to go for Hobby and Red-footed Falcon.There is a bus stop near the entrance for the bus from Puerto Pollensa to Alcudia and C'an Picafort at the Club del Sol ...walk down the track on the Alcudia side,turn left at the end house and then either continue through the gate by the electric sub-staion to the screens(not usually much to see on the pool there)or right again to open farmland -which is the best place to view raptors(early may 2012 I had 3 Hobby,1 Red-footed Falcon,Kestrel,Honey Buzzard and Booted Eagle in the space of ten minutes at 9am),but don't be too disappointed if all you see is kestrel,it is very variable.The big pool which can be walked to from the houses at Alcudia near Club Pollentia had Great Egret in may 2013,though they are usually easier at s'Albufera.

Orphean Warbler is classed as a rare migrant in Mallorca so I think it might be worth contacting someone at GOB as I'm sure they'd be interested in such a big 'fall' of birds passing through.

Nick

I just noticed Nick's posting and he's right..although in mainland Spain Orphean Warbler is relatively common in some areas it is a GOB rarity,and I've not seen one in 9 visits
Here's a list from their annual report that you will find useful..a lot is in Balear , but the latin names can be followed,and the code is understandable..it'll be useful for your next trip

Attachments

• Status of Birds in the Balearic Islands.pdf
    190.8 KB · Views: 51
Here is a copy of the Big Year 2013 being run by GOB Mallorca list that is a good checklist to take with you..yellow in the right column are common birds,pink in the middle are rarities,and red in the left column are escapes

Attachments

• Mallorca Big Year 2013.xls
    114.5 KB · Views: 78
Nick/LarusLister,
I have contacted GOB - but no response yet.

I can't think what else they could have been. Good views showing all the features in the Collins Guide 2nd edition.

Any sugestions?

cheers
Gordon

Nick/LarusLister,
I have contacted GOB - but no response yet.

I can't think what else they could have been. Good views showing all the features in the Collins Guide 2nd edition.

Any sugestions?

cheers
Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Without wishing to sound patronising (I know it will), but the obvious alternative is Sardinian Warbler, but if you saw the yellow eyes of the Orphean (brownish if juvenile) and all other salient features (longer curved bill, plumage colouration etc) then you should be right.

Its just unusual.

But not questioning you,

regards, Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back