• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod For Scope ? (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
I recently bought a Scope from the RSPB shop.It Is an RSPB AG80 Scope and was hoping someone could give advice,on recommended Tripods that would compliment the Scope ?

Thanks In anticipation.

I would suggest that you get the sturdiest and most rigid tripod and head that you can afford.
I use a Manfrotto 701 HDV head and find it pretty good. I am mainly into photography so I use my Gitzo tripods with my scope. This may seem like overkill but it is not. A spotting scope will show up a poor quality tripod more than any Canon or Nikon lens on the market!
It is easier to get a stable image with my 800mm Canon lens than my 77mm Kowa scope.
I am not necessarily suggesting that you spend a small fortune on a new Gitzo, though you may be able to find a used one at a sensible price. There are a lot of pretty good and far more sensibly priced tripods out there now that will do a decent job. Without a specific budget it is difficult to make a specific recommendation, so try some out before you decide and then get the most rigid model that you can afford.

Sherpa 600R from Velbon.

Its a great multi tasker, legs can be independently set at varied angles which is great on rough terrain, and can get stupidly low to the ground if avoiding the wind behind some rocks on a sea watch.

Good solid jobbie and gets the job done well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back