• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portugal, ALgarve - mainly waders (1 Viewer)

138mph

United Kingdom
late March 2007 Algarve, Portugal:
attached image with 2 views of 1 bird at Quinta do Lago/Ludo Farm.

A group where I think I know the ID if the attached image is insufficient, visit:
http://www.eimagesite.net/s1/gst/run.cgi?action=sc7

A group for which I don't really have much idea about, again if attached image is insufficient visit:
http://www.eimagesite.net/s1/gst/run.cgi?action=sc8

-- in both cases, when on eimagesite.net, click the file size (for example 58KB) in the thumbnail list to see the image, and then use the < and > buttons to move to previous/next image.

Many thanks in advance for all assistance.

Hugh

Attachments

• 57C26D0106.jpg
    57C26D0106.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 256
  • sc7.jpg
    sc7.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 292
  • sc8.jpg
    sc8.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 266
Hello!

Most of your ids are correct but the following:

Ruff is a Wood Sandpiper.
Curlew is a Whimbrel ( I think)
In your third attachmnet from left to righ top to bottom:
Wood Sand
Greenshank
Common Sand.
Another Grey Plover?? (Getting rust on europena ids...)
Fan-tailed Warbler??
Aberant young Dunlin?? (weird bird)
Prolly a Wood Sand.
Coomon Sand can't think of the duck atm
YL Gull?

Interesting...

Isn't <this> a Lesser Yellowlegs? Long primary projection, long yellowish legs, some black blotching on upperparts, etc

Rare bird for Portugal if I'm right...

Hey All

I`d probably go for Lesser Yellowlegs and American Golden Plover for the two pics mentioned..at least that was my first impression without closer inspection.

As to the other birds

first page:

Common Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs?
Osprey
Osprey
Dunlin (artica..certainly long billed race)
Sanderling
Grey Plover
Whimbrel
Black Redstart

Second page:

Greenshank
Greenshank
American Golden Plover?
Fan-tailed Warbler
Dunlin
Grey Plover
Common Sandpiper/Gadwall
Yellow-legged or GBB Gull?

That's my guesses for now.

Sean
Hiroshima

Thanks!

Thank you all for the input.

My partner said that was a Lesser Yellowlegs at the time. I checked the Collins after we got back home and decided it was more likely to be a Ruff - silly me not believing her!

Hugh

Interesting...

Isn't <this> a Lesser Yellowlegs? Long primary projection, long yellowish legs, some black blotching on upperparts, etc

Rare bird for Portugal if I'm right...

Definitely a lesser yellowlegs. One of the most common waders during migration here in PA. Nice bird for Portugal!

Not sure on the plover. The crown looks a little dark for grey. I lean towards a golden type.

You probably want to let a Portuguese recorder know about the Lesser Yellowlegs. Wish I'd had the courage to post last night when I realised it wasn't Marsh or Wood Sand and had to be Lesserlegs. I had most the others but didn't post as I couldn't believe that one and was unsure on the gull , which looks like a GBBG to me, and the plover, which is still confusing me. No-one answered about the warbler in pic 1. Is there a reason it's not a Willow Warbler?

Graham

No-one answered about the warbler in pic 1. Is there a reason it's not a Willow Warbler?

Graham

It's not a very clear pic but it looks more Chiffy to me - overall jizz/shape, colour tones, face pattern - pp looks marginally long but perhaps that's just the angle, difficult to tell on my monitor

Would we need to be considering Iberian Chiffy in Portugal?

Always, I guess, in this location! However, although the vent is quite yellow, and super very strong, I think an Ibe would generally be a lot more greenish/yellowish than this. It doesn't look particularly long winged/long pp either to me - Jane's the one to consult here but it's really not a very clear pic and assigning race might require more detail (for me anyway!)

Just as an aside, I think that Chiff (whatever ssp) might be more common on Spring mig than WW in Southern Portugal

I ran away from the Phyllosc... my guess, but its only a guess, is a Spanish Chiff. It has that sort of intermediate look to it. No chance from these pics though! That said it doesn't look particularly long tailed... so I'm on the fence between Chiff and Spanish Chiff.

Can't offer any input on the id of the warbler, just thought I'd throw a little spanner in the works! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back